Chapter 53

Angeline.
I couldn't look at them. The guilt and shame of keeping such a secret from them ate me inside. What was I doing? I didn't know. Why did I do it? I didn't know either. But I wasn't planning on acting ignorant forever.. I knew eventually I would have to come clean but I did not realize that it would come sooner than expected.. just how.. just how on earth did Weiss know? I made sure my execution was perfect, I made myself look like an innocent, ignorant and weak queen that I was so sure no one would become suspicious and yet..

Weiss snickered and rolled her eyes, "Clearly you underestimated me. Vaye and Eva, those two are far too busy in their own worlds that they do not care to take a peek in the world of others. Pearl is too trusting, she trusted you too much that the thought of you keeping a secret such as this never crossed her mind. And this little human right here is the very image you tried to create, Amethyst is far too innocent to be suspicious of you. Whilst Sapphire.. I assume I won't have to elaborate on her. But I, my dear Angeline, am aware of everything that happens in this castle. I may not know every answer like Gaia, but I can read people and I have instincts that are almost always correct. And you.. just happened to be one of my instincts."

Weiss smirked, "I pride myself on being a lot of things, angel. And being right is one of them."

"How were you so sure? Earlier, you urged her to say it, to say something, just because it was your instinct?" Amethyst asked, tilting her head.

"That and many other things." Weiss stated, raising a brow at me as she continued, "You were an angel, not to mention, a very experienced fallen angel. In other words, you were a smart creature. Therefore, obviously acting stupid would not work with me. But most of all.. you were a queen, meaning you knew who your mate was the first time you laid your eyes on them. To think that you saw Lucilia centuries ago and yet you did not make a move.. is beyond me. On Lucilia's part, I understand her, I've once read that demons have a hard time identifying their mates because of their nature but you.. How intriguing."

"You must have a valid reason on why you delayed your mate bond with Lucilia. Oh! Pardon me, the mate bond was always there, you just preferred not to acknowledge it. My, your resistance is quite strong and futile." Weiss stated, giving me a look that made me shrink in my seat. Her tone was not too friendly, it was clear that she was mocking me.. but I deserve it, I have been a horrible person.. a horrible mate.

"I-I thought angels don't lie?" Amethyst whispered, frowning at me. She was also not happy with me.. I could see it, she's disappointed.

"Humans love angels because they say nice things, don't they? But what if those nice things were lies? Meanwhile, humans hate demons because they say bad things, don't they? But what if those bad things were true?" Weiss' answer was obviously not what Amethyst had in mind as Amethyst slumped against her pillows and looked deep in thought.

"So, Angeline, the question is.. why?"

I opened my mouth to answer but all I could come up was, "I.." I couldn't bring myself to say anything. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal.. why did I think like that? Of course it's a big deal! I lied about myself and I ignored the mate bond! The mate bond.. a supernatural creature's lifeline.. what was wrong with me?

"You know what? I shouldn't be the one asking you this question." Weiss stood up and stretched before approaching me and when I thought she was going to slap me, she gently patted my shoulder instead.

"You'll never know unless you try." She whispered to me before turning around and saying, "Try to talk to Lucilia, I can only assume she did not kill those men so do not jump into conclusions. Oh, and Amethyst? It would be wise to act as if you do not know anything about Angeline's actions, okay? Well then, I best be going now, I have a meeting with the council, farewell." And with that, she went out of the room, leaving me flabbergasted.