New Pains, Brand New Start

Hello everyone, just letting you know this concept is not mine. The original story this is based on; "When One Door Closes, Two More Open" is owned by Dragonsrule18. I just wanted to expand on this concept and be able to not let it go to waste since I absolutely adore Pokemon and the original story hasn't been updated in.... You know, 5 years.

Within the region of Kanto, Ash Ketchum sighed as he set his backpack down at the base of a tree on Route 1, unpacking the sandwiches and Poké-Chow his mother had packed them for lunch. His first day of being a Pokémon trainer was NOT turning out like he planned, since he somehow smashed his alarm clock in his sleep (he really needed to remember to keep that thing on the other side of the room from now on), which made him wake up late and made him late to pick up his starter. The Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander that were usually reserved for new trainers had already been taken. But Professor Oak had one left; a nice little Pikachu.

....However, the only problem was that Pikachu seemed to hate everyone. Especially Ash for some inane reason. He had shocked everyone in sight, and refused to get into his Poké Ball, so Ash had been forced to attach a leash to him and wear rubber gloves so he wouldn't be cooked alive. Once they had gotten out into the woods where no one else would get hurt, Ash had tried to find out what was making Pikachu so angry, but due to the fact that Pokémon could only communicate by saying their names, that didn't help much AND didn't really make sense. But when Ash showed Pikachu could trust him by throwing away the leash and rubber gloves, all Pikachu did was climb up a tree and ignore him.

And that was where the two stayed.... For the past 20 minutes...

Ash: Pikachu? Do you want to come down here and eat with me? I'm sure you're hungry.

Pikachu: Pika-CHU!

His cheeks sparked back as he spoke, as Ash just sighed and placed the bowl at the tree's base, where the mouse could easily grab if it were hungry.

Ash: Pikachu, I'm trying my best. I may be new at this, but I do want to be your friend. Please, just give me a chance.

Pikachu just turned away, making Ash feel annoyed and a little insulted.

Ash: Fine, have it your way then.

Hopefully, if he was patient and gave Pikachu his space, the electric mouse would come around soon. This was the state of mind he kept as he picked up his lunch and moved more into the field. As Ash ate, he looked up at the sky, watching the clouds and spotting a flock of Pidgey. He thought of capturing one, but dismissed it, as the odds of Pikachu helping him were probably somewhere in the negative range with the way he'd been acting. And the idea of trying to weaken it himself was just stupid, considering that something as frail as a Weedle could be stronger than a human. Instead, he just settled for scanning one on his Pokédex, then sat back and finished his sandwich.

Suddenly, he felt an odd presence nearby as a soft scratching noise behind him made him turn around, spotting a Pokemon digging through his backpack. He would've assumed it to be a simple Rattata, but it was far too big and he didn't remember shiny Rattata being blue. Curiosity getting the better of him, Ash took out his Pokédex and scanned the little creature.

Pokedex: Pokemon unrecognized. No data available. There are still Pokémon yet to be identified.

The Pokemon yelped at the sound of the Pokédex and began to back away, revealing his true form to Ash. It was similar to a Growlithe, only with blue fur, it was much skinnier, and it stood on two legs, though only on its toes. It has a crooked tail, small black appendages on the side of its head, which also match a mask-like mark on its face that covers its red eyes. Ash followed the odd Pokemon's line of sight, with the little canine having been trying to get a bag of tortilla chips out of it. Ash smiled at the little one as he heard its stomach growl. Poor thing must be starving. Ash knelt down, smiling at the blue dog as it eyed him warily.