Four's A Crowd

The day after Ash won his match on the ice field, he and his friends had joined Goh at the grass field's stands, where they watch the match between Wes and Gary, both of the trainers neck and neck with Gary's last Pokemon being Nidoking and Wes's Pokemon being a large blue crocodilian with red spikes on its back. Goh had informed them that Wes's Croconaw had evolved to Feraligatr.

Announcer: And now Gary and Wes are down to just one Pokemon! Whoever wins this shall win the match!

Goh: Do you guys think Wes'll come through?

Ash: Who knows.

Cobalt: Gary's tough, really hard to see who'd win.

Wes: Feraligatr, use Liquidation!

The Big Jaw Pokemon charged, its hand covered by swirling water as it attempted to slash at the Nidoking, before-

Gary: Catch it!

And just as Gary said, Nidoking grabbed the arm Feraligatr was about to strike him, narrowly avoiding a super effective hit.

Gary: Now, use Dynamic Punch!

The Drill Pokemon reeled a fist back before strongly pummeling it into the Bug Jaw's face, sending it flying into the ground with a thud, where it was seen to be knocked unconscious.

Wes: Feraligatr, no!

Referee: Feraligatr is unable to battle, the winner is Nidoking! And that means, the match goes to Gary Oak!

Goh: Oh man.... Wes lost...

Kixx: ....Damn.

Misty: It only makes sense he might lose. This is the big leagues, after all.

As Ash felt remorse for his friend while the group lef the stadium, Wes came out to join them, Espeon and Umbreon by his side.

Wes: Hey, guys.

Goh: Sorry you lost, Wes.

Wes: *smirks* Eh, that guy just got lucky is all.

Though trying to play it off, Ash could feel the disappointment and sorrow in Wes's tone. He was really hoping he'd make it through the preliminaries. Maybe he wouldn't stand a chance against his next opponent or even Gary... Maybe he should quit while he was ahead. However, his thoughts were interrupted by Brock placing a hand on his shoulder.

Brock: Ash, I have a feeling I know what you're thinking, now stop!

Ash: Brock?

Brock: You're a great trainer, Ash. The bond you share with your Pokemon proves it to me. And as long as we're around, you won't even think about quitting, right?

Green: Yeah, don't talk like that, Ash.

Kestrel: We believe in you.

Wes: Plus, don't think since I'm out of the League that I'm gonna sit out watching your matches, alright bud?

Ash looked at the group as they smiled at him, eliciting him to smile and nod back, thankfulfor their support. However, a ringing from his Xtransciever interrupted them.

Ash: *sheepish* Sorry, I have to take this.

Ash walked off as his Pokemon followed, pressing the button to show Professor Oak on the screen.

Prof. Oak: Hi there, Ash.

Ash: Professor Oak? Is something wrong?

Prof. Oak: No no, far from it, in fact. I've been watching you and Gary in the League and I was wondering if you wanted to switch Pokemon.