Trial By Stone

The group followed Flint to the Pokémon Center, where Ash and Misty recalled their teams to their Poké Balls and handed them over to Nurse Joy. Finding a plastic bin full of maps of Pewter City on the counter, Ash picked one up to find the gym's location.

Ash: Let's see here. Pokémon Gym, Pokémon gym...

Misty: It's right here. And how about when we go, I'll handle the directions? You'd probably get lost in an empty room.

Ash: Yeah, that's fair.

Flint: Don't tell me you're challenging Brock, the Pewter City Gym leader.

Ash: Well, yes I am.

Flint: *skeptically* Do you really think you can beat him?

Ash: I'm not sure.. But I'm gonna give it a real try.

Flint laughed at this as he then walked away, leaving the pair confused.

Ash: Wow. Either Brock's tough or that guy doesn't think much of me. It doesn't matter. I can do this. Cobalt, Green, and I have trained really hard to prepare for this battle.

Misty couldn't tell whether Ash was talking to her or giving himself a pep talk. Either way, he sounded really nervous. They ate lunch at the restaurant connected to the Pokémon Center, but Ash kept glancing back towards the medical area. Misty could tell he missed his team.

Misty: Do you think you're ready for this? Gym Leaders ARE tougher than the average Pokémon trainer. I could lend you some of my Water Pokémon if you'd like.

Ash: Thanks, Misty. But I'd rather do this on my own. We've worked really hard for this Gym battle, and I know my Pokémon can do this. Besides, Green's a grass type and Cobalt's a fighting type, we can do this. I'm just...nervous. This is my first big Gym battle, and I'm worried about failing my Pokémon.

Misty: *stern* Well, you need to relax, or you'll lose before you begin. You've trained for this battle, right?

Ash: Right.

Misty: And you trust your Pokémon, right?

Ash: With my life.

Misty: Then be a little more confident. I believe in you, and I know your Pokémon aren't here right this second, but they'd be agreeing with me. You can do this, Ash.

Ash: *deep breath* Thanks.

After paying for their meal, they made it to the medical facility of the center, where the nurse handed over two trays of Pokeballs.

Nurse: Well, Mr. Ketchum and Miss Waterflower, no more waiting. Your Pokémon are back to normal.

Ash immediately released his team, Psi now fully energized and Green climbing up to Ash's shoulder.

Green: Aw~, did you miss us, Ashy?

Psi: We were gone twenty whole minutes.

Ash laughed and hugged his team.

Ash: Of course I did. So what do you say? Are you guys ready for the first gym?

Cobalt: I'm pumped up for it. I can't wait.

Green: Then let's go!

They left the Pokémon Center, Misty guiding them using the map. While they walked, Ash looked to Cobalt, who was seen holding the wood carving from earlier and smiling at it. He had recognized the carving from the battle with Samurai.

Ash: What's that you're holding, Cobalt?

Cobalt: *about carving* This? It's my lucky charm. I've had it since Mom and Dad found me as a baby. I'm.... *saddened* not sure what happened to my real parents, but for some reason, I can't bear to part with this little wood carving. It's... I don't know, familiar. And when I do that thing back there, I always feel a little luckier.