Psychic Squabble

Ash looked around as they entered Saffron City. Through the last two weeks, he and his Pokémon had worked their butts off for the Saffron Gym, which he knew would be their toughest Gym yet. Sabrina, the Psychic gym leader, was one of the strongest gym leaders in the League and even the toughest trainers struggled with her gym. There were rumors that she had even been asked to join the Elite Four.

Psi had managed to master Dark Pulse with the help of the Pokédex and his Thunderbolt had become more powerful with practice, though it would never be as strong as a true Electric type. In preparation for the gym, he also did a lot of extra speed training and boosted his Psyshock.

Azula worked on her U-Turn and Aqua Jet, eventually going so far as to replace Pound and Water Gun with Swift and Water Pulse. Azula had become much more stronger, especially since she had become sparring partners with the newly evolved Aiden. Both of them couldn't wait for their possible first big Gym Battle at his trainer's side, especially when Aiden had given up Dragon Rage to learn Dragon Claw.

After a quick stop at the Pokémon Center to heal Ash's team, Ash, Brock and Misty headed towards the Psychic gym, an imposing white building. As usual, Azula was on Ash's shoulder and Cobalt and Green walked beside him as Loki walked beside Misty.

Cobalt: This place is a little spooky.

As they entered, it only proved his point, as the inside was lit with rows of torches. It looked more like an old temple than a gym.

Ash: Hello? Is anyone here?

Misty: *nervously* There's something creepy about this place.

They noticed a green door and walked over to it, peeking through the window. Inside, there was a group of people in white coats. Some were guessing shapes on cards and others were attempting to bend spoons with their minds. Ash wondered if this was the psychic school Alain had told him about. However, that's when some weird guy with a long beard and a surgical mask came out to them.

Man: Hey! What are you kids doing here?

Ash: We were looking for the gym leader so I can try for the Marsh Badge.

Man: *scornfully* You wish to challenge the great Sabrina?

Ash: Yes, sir.

Misty: Excuse me, but what are all those people doing in that room?

Man: You know so little, yet you wish to challenge the great Sabrina.

He held up a spoon with a laugh, making everyone look at him weirdly. He then stared at it, concentrating so hard that his face turned bright red. Suddenly, the spoon bent very slightly and the guy put it down, panting.

Ash: Are you okay? You look like you have a headache.

Man: You fool. That was telekinesis. You can't control a Psychic Pokémon without telekinetic powers.

Ash: I've heard of lots of trainers who aren't psychics training psychic Pokémon. Hell, I have a Psychic Pokemon and they listen to me just fine, so I don't have to worry about not being tele-telekinetic.

Ash was doing his best to ignore the insult. Green smiled, glad his trainer was slowly becoming more confident.

Ash: Could you take us to the Gym Leader please, sir?

Not sure how to respond to the logical and politely said retort, the man finally nodded. He led them to a set of purple doors and opened them, where he then went to a darkened corner of the room.

Man: Oh, great Sabrina, these strangers have come to challenge you. Though I don't know why you would waste your time on this group of losers.

Ash had to grab Cobalt around the wrist to keep him from pummeling the guy at this. Suddenly, a glowing psychic force lifted the man off the ground. A light in the corner turned on, revealing a young blue-haired woman, her eyes glowing red. Everyone gasped and the Pokémon moved in front of their trainers protectively.