Of Perfumes And Prejudice

They arrived at Celadon City the next morning and returned their larger Pokemon to their balls before heading for the Pokémon Center and Gym, admiring the sights of the large, bustling city along the way, with its tall buildings, and according to Brock and Misty at least, great scents. Passing a small, stylish shop, Misty and Brock sniffed the air.

Brock: Something smells heavenly.

Misty: Perfume. Chesto Vileplume 17, if I remember right.

Ash caught a whiff as well and tried to hide a grimace as the strong scents of flowers and fruits mixed with chemicals hit his nose and made his head throb a little. He absolutely hated perfume. And he wasn't the only one as Cobalt wrinkled his nose.

Cobalt: It smells like...-ACHOO! Ugh... What- ACHOO! ACHOO! ACHOO!

The Lucario went into a volley of sneezes, nearly falling oover before Ash caught him.

Ash: Co, you okay?

Cobalt: Yeah, I'm...-Achoo! I'll live...-Achoo!- Achoo! Ugh...-Achoo!- That damn stuff's messing with my nose...

Ash: Buddy, I think you're allergic to perfume. Sorry, but I'm gonna have to put you back into your Poké Ball.

Cobalt: But-Achoo!.... Okay, fine. Just let me out when we get to the gym, okay?

Ash nodded as he returned Cobalt to his ball, looking back to Green and Azula, who was still able to ride on his shoulder.

Ash: Are you guys okay?

Green: I'm good. It's a little strong, but doesn't smell that bad to me.

Azula: I don't really like the smell, but it doesn't make me sneeze or anything.

Ash: That's good... Hey, where'd Brock and Misty go?

Ash realized his two human friends had disappeared. He looked around and finally saw Brock with his face pressed up against the window of the perfume shop with his new Mankey and Bulbasaur beside him. Ash walked over and chuckled at Brock's goofy expression.

Ash: Who you makin' faces at, Brock?

Brock: My nose is telling me that this is my kind of town.

Ash looked through the window to see a group of pretty teenage girls standing around, giggling and gossiping.

Ash: Oh.

Brock: I think we should stay here a while.

Ash: *laughs* Alright, I'll meet you at the gym then... Where's Misty?

Brock pointed inside the perfume shop and Ash looked, seeing Misty go in and talk to a salesgirl. Misty looked out of the window and caught Ash's eyes, and she smiled and motioned him to come in, a salesgirl stopping him as he entered the shop.

Salesgirl: Sorry, you've got to leave your Pokémon outside or put them in their balls. Perfume is flammable and the glass bottles are fragile.

Ash nodded and led his Pokémon back out to Brock.

Ash: Brock, can you watch Green and Azula?

Brock: *not paying attention* Huh? Oh, yeah, sure.

Green: We'll be fine. We'll wait on the bench. Plus, do you really trust this guy when he's like this?

Ash: Fair point.

Ash thanked them before going inside, wincing a bit at the much stronger smell of perfume, but ignored it and walked up to Misty, seeing her being attended to by two sales girls, one with purple hair and the other one with green hair in a ponytail.