Gain And Loss

Before we get to the story, here's some things I'd like to clear up, like in the story this is inspired by.

1. Ash will have a team split, with half coming from Kanto, and half coming from other regions.

2. Ash will be more knowledgeable about training and will be more disciplined and willing to work hard to get what he wants. He's also more willing to listen to advice and won't jump headlong into things..... As much, it's what makes him so interesting in the first place.

3. Like with the original story, Ash will not catch more Pokémon, but less. He will only have a complete team of 6.

With that out of the way, please enjoy.

—------------------------------------------

It was now late evening at the hospital as visiting hours were now over, and Ash Ketchum was sitting in his hospital bed with his two new Pokémon, the TV playing softly in the background. He had spent all of yesterday evening and even most of today alternating going through a battery of tests to make sure the electricity hadn't done any permanent damage and reassuring his distressed mother, who had rushed to the hospital as soon as she heard, that he was fine.

Professor Oak had also visited that very morning, apologizing several times for letting Ash go on his journey with a dangerous Pokemon like Pikachu. Being the kind boy he was, Ash had accepted Professor Oak's apology and reassured him that it wasn't his fault. The professor took Pikachu's Poké Ball, promising to release Ash's former starter from his team and even granted him a new Pokedex, so that way he could scan and get information of his new party members.

(AN: This would be the Pokedex seen in Pokemon Black and White. Don't judge me, I just think the design is cool.)

Speaking of Cobalt and Green, Delia had cooed over the brothers, hugging them and thanking them over and over for saving her "little baby". Like most young boys, Ash was extremely embarrassed at this, but Cobalt just ate up the affection. After all, he was technically a baby Pokemon. He decided to not tell Professor Oak about his new ability to talk to Pokemon or about seeing Ho-Oh. Though Ash trusted the man, he wasn't sure if Oak would evem believe him, or if he could keep it a secret if he did. He also decided to wait to tell his mother until a less stressful time, where she was most likely to not worry about his sanity.

Now in bed, Ash snuggled with his starters, looking at the IV stuck in his arm in utter disgust.

Ash: I'm so glad I'm getting out of here tomorrow. And getting this thing out of me.

Green: Yeah, that sure does look painful.

Cobalt: Green!.

Green: What? I was being sympathetic!

Cobalt: Alright moving on... So, Ash, what's our game plan when we get out of here?

Ash: Well, in order for me to hopefully become a Pokemon master, I need to enter and win the Pokemon League. And in order to do that, we need to collect all 8 Kanto gym badges.

The boy reached into his nearby backpack, pulling out the official Indigo League handbook he had bought for his journey.

Ash: It says here the first gym is in Pewter City. Looks like it's a Rock type gym. The leader's name is Brock and according to this, he normally uses a Geodude and an Onix. Okay, the best types of moves to use against Rock typess are water, grass, fighting...I know there's two or three more but I can't remember them.

Green: Last I checked, it's also ground and steel. Lucky for you, your best buddies are of those 5 types.

Cobalt: Plus, I've been trying to learn Bone Rush, which is a ground move. That'll definitely help, right?