Trauma Shock Showdown

It was six in the evening and the group sat together eating dinner. Not wanting to walk for three more hours in the dark as they saw the city in the distance, they decided to resume their journey early the next morning.

Sitting next to Brock's new Bulbasaur, Aidan watched his trainer a little worriedly. Ash had seemed a little antsy all day, though he had tried his best to hide it. Maybe he was just nervous about the Gym battle the next day.

Two days ago, Ash, Cobalt, Green, Psi, Yami, and Aidan had discussed who was going to face Lt. Surge's Raichu at the Vermillion Gym, and Cobalt had been chosen. He was the only one who could not only fight from a distance without making contact thanks to Vacuum Wave, but he was also the only one of them with a Ground-type move. Ash trained his starter's attack and speed, along with working on his marksmanship with Vacuum Wave. Not only that but like always, Ash trained his other Pokemon too, with Aidan having also learned Fire Fang to replace Ember. The little Charmander was very excited about seeing his first big Gym Battle the next day, but also a little nervous. He hoped Cobalr would do well.

But something more seemed to be wrong with Ash than simple nervousness. Ash was picking at his food, a sure sign that something was wrong, as Ash normally had a huge appetite. Aidan noticed that Ash's other Pokémon, as well as Brock and Misty, seemed concerned as well.

Aiden: Hey Ash, you okay?

Ash: Huh? Oh yeah, I'm fine, Aidan. Just thinking about the gym battle tomorrow.

Though Ash replied, he seemed distracted. Cobalt and Green exchanged a concerned glance, making Aidan even more confused. They finished dinner and Ash and Misty helped Brock clean up as Aidan went over to Green.

Aiden: Is Ash okay? He seems really anxious about something and I don't think it's just the gym.

Green: .... *sigh* You're right, Aidan. It's not just the gym. I need to tell you something.

—--------------------------------------------

After Green told the story, Aiden looked on in horror, almost breaking into tears.

Aiden: I can't believe it. That's awful. Why would his own starter do that to him?

The Grovyle sighed and shook his head, looking over to his trainer as he set dwon his sleeping bag.

Green: I don't know. I'm worried tomorrow is going to be tough for Ash; having to face the evolved form of the Pokémon that hurt him.

Aidan nodded, understanding what Ash was going through. He didn't know what'd he do if he ever had to face Damien again, but he was confident in his friend. Aiden nodded, which caused Green to smile and ruffle his head as they joined his trainer.

Later that night, Ash lay awake, finding it impossible to fall asleep. He was just too worried about the gym battle tomorrow.

Ash: 'I'm being an idiot! Lt. Surge's Raichu is not Pikachu and wouldn't do to Cobalt what Pikachu did to me, right?

Involuntarily, his mind flashed back to Pikachu's betrayal and the pain and terror he had felt, and he shuddered.

Ash: 'Stop being such a coward! It's been months; I should be over this by now! What type of Pokémon trainer is afraid of a stupid gym battle? I have to keep my head! I can't fail Cobalt out there!'

However, not too far away, he heard what seemed to be watery breaths over by a tree. Ash got up to investigate, seeing Cobalt come out from behind the tree, clutching his lucky charm close.

Ash: Cobalt?

Cobalt: *surpised* Ash... What are you doing up?

Ash: Just having trouble falling asleep. You okay?