A Haunting First Loss

Misty: I can't wait to get to Vermillion City. They have a luxury cruise ship and I have to see that!

Ash: *mumbling* That's nice, Misty.

It had been 3 days since Ash's gym battle at Cerulean City, earning him not only 2 badges, but also allowing Green to evolve to his next stage. However, ever since they started their trip to Vermillion, Ash has been a little.... Down in the dumps.

Misty: *elbows Ash* Are you even listening to me?

Ash: *jolts up* Huh? Oh... Sorry, Misty. What were you saying?

Brock: Someone has his head in the clouds today. What were you thinking so hard about?

Ash: The Vermillion Gym. I was trying to figure out how to beat Lieutenant Surge's Raichu...

As Ash told them, both Brock and Misty noticed Ash looking slightly nervous when he said the word 'Raichu.'

Ash: We need to end the fight quick, hit it fast and hit it hard. After thinking about it, Cobalt would be my best bet since he's the only one of my Pokemon with a Ground type move, noww how should we...

Cobalt: Ash, calm down. We have a week or so to think up a strategy.

Cobalt knew that he, along with the team, knew this Gym was going to give Ash a bit of a problem, especially after he had seen his face when he mentioned Lieutenant Surge's Raichu.

Misty: Getting some more Pokémon might be a good idea. And you'll have to train really hard.

Ash: I know I will. Lieutenant Surge was a commanding officer in the war. He's really, really good, especially with Electrics and he's got to know a ton of battle strategies. He was actually one of my idols when I was younger. I really respect him.

Brock: That's how you knew about him even though you didn't know the Leaders of the Cerulean Gym.

Ash: Yeah. I've always looked up to him. He's a regional hero.

As they rounded a bend in the road, a young boy with a Rattata by his side came up to them.

Boy: Hey. Would any of you like to have a battle with me?

Ash: Sure. Hey, Cobalt, you up for a battle?

Cobalt: For you, Ash. Always.

The boy looked intimidated by the new Pokemon as he stepped forward, but continued anyway.

Boy: Rattata, go!

The Rattata stepped forward, growing at the Riolu.

Boy: Use Quick Attack!

Ash: Take the attack and use Counter, Cobalt!

Cobalt stood his ground as the Rattata slammed into him, only for the Riolu to knock the mouse back with double the force of the Quick Attack. Due to the Rattata's low level, it was a one hit KO.

Boy: Oh no! Rattata! *returns Rattata* You did a good job, Rattata. *to Ash* You're a great trainer. I bet you could even beat AJ.

Ash: AJ?

Boy: Yeah. He lives right over there. *points to distance* AJ trains savage Pokémon. He even built his own Gym. And he's never lost a single match!

Green: Hey, that sounds cool! Let's do it, Ash!

He was eager for a battle, since he had only recently evolved and kept wanting to use his new strength. Ash too was eager. AJ sounded extremely tough, and Ash wanted to see if he could beat him. Plus, maybe he could figure out why the name seemed familiar.