Chapter 51 - Alice

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo and Liberty

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo and Liberty. You can also read ahead of my new stories Destined and The King's Lost Queen plus many more stories. You will always be supporting me. To find out more, please click on this link: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_

"Society tolerates only one change at a time."  — The Prestige, 2006

Word count: 1316 

RETURNING to Anna's flat later that day, I found her sitting on the couch with a pensive expression on her face.

Her eyes flickered to me at the sound of my arrival. Her brown eyes were filled with sadness and under the lights, I could see a sheen of tears threatening to escape. Immediately, I rushed over to her, dumping my bag in the hallway. She allowed me to embrace her tightly as she rested her head on my shoulder.

"What happened?" I asked her, softly.

She sniffled into my shoulder, taking a moment to reply.

"I—" She stammered, choking on her words. "I was with Spring, in her house. S—she said we had a free house. She promised me her parents were out and that we were safe. B—but—"

I sucked in a breath quietly, already figuring out where this was heading. My heart bled for Anna—a woman who had been there for me the past month.

My eyes closed as she continued the story.

"Her mom returned home as when we were kissing. It...she was furious. The look of disgust in her eyes...I won't be able to forget it." She shivered in fear and sadness. "She kicked me out of the house, calling me a disgrace. Spring was crying. She was trying to explain that it was innocent and that I was just a friend." The bitter tone in her voice made me wince internally. I could sympathize with Spring for her troubles but to disregard her soul mate like that, was cruel. She was acting on her fear without thinking about the consequences.

"I was kicked out of the house. The last thing I saw was Spring's apologetic eyes." She concluded, sobbing.

Gently, I threaded my fingers through Anna's hair.