Chapter 52 - Alice

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo and Liberty

You can read all of Forgetting Arlo and Liberty. You can also read ahead of my new stories Destined and The King's Lost Queen plus many more stories. You will always be supporting me. To find out more, please click on this link: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_

"Sometimes to create, one must first destroy." — Prometheus, 2012

Word count: 1616

AFTER spending the rest of the night awake, I had a long shower when Anna woke up

AFTER spending the rest of the night awake, I had a long shower when Anna woke up. I didn't tell her what happened since I didn't want to worry her anymore. She was already stressed about Spring and was struggling to process what had happened. I couldn't dump my trauma on her too.

So, I applied a great deal of concealer under my eyes after my shower and headed into the kitchen with a smile on my face.

Anna also had a facade up.

The both of us fixed happy expressions on our faces, hiding our pain. I greeted her with fake happiness and made a cup of tea for myself.

It was just as I sat down on the counter that my phone started ringing. I didn't have college for two more hours so I wondered if it was one of my soul mates calling to ask if I wanted to meet up. However, the moment I saw the name, my face paled.

There was no way I could hide that reaction from Anna. She perked up instantly and hunched over the counter to get a better look at my phone. "What is it?"

"My mom," I whispered, worriedly. I expected this call to come; no matter how well I had rehearsed what I was going to say in my head, nothing could prepare me fully for this call. I knew that she was a thunderstorm, waiting to explode. The moment I answered the phone, she'd erupt.

"Oh, shit," Anna mumbled, sending me a sorrowful look. Anna doesn't know all of the details—nobody, not even Liam does—but she knows enough.

"I'm going to head into the living room to answer it," I said, sliding off the stool.

My heart was hammering in my chest as I left the safety of Anna's kitchen. My mom was relentless when it came to calling so I knew she wouldn't give up until I answered.