Chapter 66 - Alice

You can read ahead of Destined, Shattered Souls, and The King's Lost Queen on Patreon

You can read ahead of Destined, Shattered Souls, and The King's Lost Queen on Patreon. Use this link to find out about the tier system: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_

"I just wanted to take another look at you." - A Star Is Born, 2018

Word count: 2040

"HELLO, this is Mortley Law Firm

"HELLO, this is Mortley Law Firm. How may I help you?" I asked the woman in front of me, with a smile plastered on my face.

The middle-aged woman nervously flitted her eyes around the large office space and bit her lip. "I—I'm here to see Valarie Mortley." She answered, trembling.

The smile on my face softened, "Are you, Mrs Fernandez?"

She nodded her head and tucked strands of her greying hair behind her small ear. "Yes. B—but it's Ms now."

"Oh, sorry. Of course. Why don't you take a seat? Miss Mortley will be with you soon." I suggested, directing my attention to the computer screen in front of me. The skittish woman complied and sat on one of our comfortable seats. There were a few other clients here—all were rich and in high society.

I smiled at our clients as I rose to my feet and through the corridor of offices. There were hundreds of people here. Most had a desk in the 'pit' which was where lawyers, attorneys, and more worked. And then, the most prestigious people in the company had a private office in a room.

My Aunt—the owner of this company—had the biggest office at the end of the hall. The Mortley firm was situated on the thirty-third floor of a towering building situated in the heart of Washington.

I knocked on the window door to my Aunt's office and poked my head through the gap. "Miss Mortley, your client is here."

She glanced up at me, her green orbs meeting mine.

Aunt Valarie was not who I thought she'd be. When I first moved to Washington, I was not in a good place. I was still reeling from what had happened and I was traveling from one place to another. She could see that I was running from something but she didn't question me. Instead, she put me straight to work.