Chapter 45: A Quick Summer

Pretty soon, spring came to an end and summer blossomed at the Burrow. Although, it wasn't much of a summer vacation for four particular, and quite powerful, young wizards. The four "reincarnations", as they're now called, have been working tremendously to gain control over their new incredible magic. Of course, they had help from their parents to obtain this control. Things were finally looking up for the four friends.

Albus was most successful at the simpler magic, which was definitely the easiest to become out of control, such as levitating and summoning objects. This was a huge relief to Grandma Weasley, for now random cooking utensils and dining room chairs didn't randomly fly around her kitchen whenever Albus was around. It was quite frightening to see knives flying near her. At the beginning of training, Albus's magic had gotten so out of control that he was forced to eat outside during mealtimes so plates and silverware wouldn't float around. Thankfully he didn't have to do this anymore.

Holly was best at controlling elements. She rarely accidentally set things on fire anymore, thank goodness. Now Holly was able to simply light a candle without muttering a spell aloud. The easiest element for her to toy with was water, and whenever it rained, Holly could sometimes manipulate the raindrops to curtain out around her, never getting her wet. She was still working to improve on nonverbal spells.

Rose flourished in nearly every category of spells, and could somewhat control her sudden urges to transform into a bird again. Once when Professor McGonagall visited, she had told Rose that once you turn into your Animagus form for the first time, the urge to do it again and again grows stronger. Oh, how Rose wanted to fly again! Eventually, she gave into her desires to soar in the air and successfully turned into an eagle for her second time, changing back to herself later with no problem. Changing back became easier for her.

While Rose tackled her control of more complex spells, it was Scorpius who struggled the most out of the four. Believe it or not, he was the most emotional out of the group. He didn't show it often, but inside he was dealing with a great bit of anxiety. Nerves and magic didn't mix well together, so it made it much more challenging for him. Around mid-summer, Scorpius's hard work soon made him have as much control and skill with his magic as Rose.

The parents were excellent and patient teachers during this whole process. The need to see their children succeed fueled them to push them even harder, testing just how much of their powers they can control. It was amazing, the amount of power for such young wizards. These adults had seen strange and astounding things in each of their lifetimes, but this was on a whole new level. It left them quite speechless sometimes.

Summer went by much too fast, and it seemed that this situation made the four friends grow up even more. Albus often isolated himself, Rose found herself falling in love with Scorpius even more each day, Holly didn't say as many whimsical things as she used to, and Scorpius was now as tall as his father, who himself was quite tall. This didn't affect the close bond the four shared, though. In fact, they were closer than ever. This summer made them each realize that they needed each other more than they ever thought.

* * *

One pleasant day in July, Albus was once again alone in his room, feeling awkward and depressed. His mother told him to get up and clean his room, since he hadn't bothered to tidy it all summer. Lazily, he charmed a broom to sweep for him, as well as a duster to rid of the dust bunnies cozying in each and every nook and cranny. He was surprised his gloomy mood didn't affect the work of his cleaning assistants. Albus kind of expected the broom to turn on him and start beating him.

The reason for his sadness, he couldn't pinpoint. Maybe it was the fact that he was still short for his age, and being around the towering Scorpius reminded him of it each time. Or maybe it was Holly. Albus had been studying her all summer, watching as she increasingly grew more mature and...different. The days where Holly wore her favorite unicorn onesie and bunny slippers were over.