Chapter 56: Christmas with Holly and Albus

This year would be a quiet Christmas, as half the Weasley family decided to spend their holiday in Romania with Uncle Charlie. So, the only ones at the Burrow this year would be Grandma and Grandpa Weasley, Albus's family, Rose's family, and Holly's family, who would be arriving Christmas afternoon. Albus was actually glad this year's Christmas would be more peaceful than usual. The past couple of weeks had been nothing but stressful. 

With the amount of Quidditch practices/matches, friend drama, and studying for exams, Albus was surprised he managed to sleep every night. 

Christmas break was exactly what he needed right now. In fact, Albus spent the days leading up to Christmas either sleeping or writing letters back and forth to Holly. The two had been talking nonstop ever since the incident with Scorpius and Rose.

The group of four had drifted paths since then. Albus and Holly stuck together, of course, while Scorpius and Rose went their separate ways. The ex-couple tended to avoid Albus and Holly as much as possible, in fear that they'd run into each other. From Albus's perspective, it was extremely sad to watch his two best friends' lives spiral downhill after their breakup. Since the two had always been around each other, it was unnatural to see them apart. 

Scorpius and Albus only occasionally talked now, which was nothing like before. It was like Albus had lost his best friend. Now he just had Holly.

Part of Albus hoped things would go back to normal once they all went back to Hogwarts after Christmas break, but he also knew that wasn't going to happen. Scorpius and Rose's breakup left permanent damage. And that damage wasn't going to be repaired any time soon. 

Holly always assured him to be patient with the situation, so Albus forced himself to do just that for the time being.

It was finally Christmas Day, which meant that Holly and her parents would be arriving at the Burrow sometime before supper time. Albus had been exchanging letters with her through owl for the majority of the day. He wished wizards were allowed to 'text message' each other, which according to Holly, who takes Muggle Studies, was incredibly faster. Thank goodness owls were so patient.

While he waited for Holly's owl to return with her reply, Albus decided to write to Scorpius and wish him a Happy Christmas, also sending his gift for him as well. Scorpius had told him before the break that he wouldn't be joining the Weasley's for Christmas this year, which is understandable. Not wanting to sound sappy and lame, Albus quickly scribbled a friendly message on a single piece of parchment and tied it to the small package of foreign wizard candies he got him, sending it off with Rose and Hugo's owl Pigwidgeon II. Hopefully that would brighten his depressed friend's spirits.

Shortly after Pigwidgeon II flew away, Holly's owl Beyonce (which Albus recently found out was named after a famous Muggle singer) flew into the window, chirping happily whilst ruffling her feathers. Beyonce was almost as cheerful as Holly.

Holly's reply was short this time, to Albus's disappointment.

Sorry to cut our conversation short, but I have to help my mum finish wrapping presents and make a pudding for this evening! See you tonight, love ;)

- Holly Augusta Longbottom xox

Albus couldn't help but laugh at her curly handwriting, which was almost too eccentric to read. And her signature was, for some reason, never the same each time. It was just one of her many quirks that Albus loved.

Still chuckling to himself, he decided to leave the comfort of his guest bedroom and socialize with his family for once. He rarely did this since the Burrow was always crowded. As he left his room, he stopped in his tracks when he noticed his Aunt Hermione standing outside of Rose's guest bedroom door, holding a plate of food. Albus accidentally let out a sigh, announcing his presence. This was the third time today that Albus had seen Aunt Hermione trying to get Rose to eat, or better yet, come out of her room.