Chapter 53: The Quidditch Match

Why am I doing this? Rose kept repeating to herself. This was a mistake.

These nagging thoughts had been disturbing Rose ever since she walked out onto the Quidditch pitch a few weeks ago and uttered the words, "I'd like to try out."

Showing up at the tryouts was sort of an apology to Scorpius. Ever since Halloween when he decided to drink that firewhisky, Rose had been purposely avoiding him. Mainly because she was disappointed in him, and in denial that the boy she thought she knew would do something so unlike himself. Finally, and with reluctance, Rose confessed to herself that she was very much overreacting and acted wrongly in the situation. Scorpius was being human, making a careless mistake.

Rose figured helping Scorpius with his Quidditch team dilemma would be the appropriate thing to do.

Only Quidditch wasn't her forte. Sure, she was pretty decent at it ever since Scorpius taught her how to play the sport back in their 4th year. But actually playing Quidditch for real was an entirely different thing. Rose much preferred sitting in the stands with Holly during school Quidditch games and cheering on their team. 

It was too late to back out now. After two and a half weeks of vigorous practices, the match seemed inevitable. If she quit, she'd be letting the whole team, her whole house, and her boyfriend down. Also since she joined the team, Rose had lost precious hours of studying time. She found herself slightly behind on getting future homework done, which increased her schoolwork anxieties. 

Part of Rose thought that she couldn't possibly continue Quidditch after this coming match. But she knew quitting would disappoint everyone, as well as herself. 

Sighing, Rose decided to put the thought aside for later as she pulled on her Quidditch uniform. After all students have eaten breakfast in the Great Hall, everyone is to gather at the Quiddtich pitch for the match. Rose didn't know how she'd be able to get any food down. Her stomach was twisted in nervous knots. 

"You look dreadful, Rose," Holly said as the two girls sat down at their usual table in the Great Hall. 

Rose eyed the gigantic lion hat on Holly's head, then replied teasingly, "I could say the same thing about you. Why in the world are you wearing that hat?"

Holly's mouth dropped slightly open, aghast. "Because I have school spirit! Excuse me for wanting to show our beloved Gryffindor Quidditch team, and you, some support!"

"I appreciate the thought, Holls," Rose said, giggling. Then she wrinkled her nose. "How old is that thing, anyway? It's kind of musty." 

Holly puckered her lips in thought. "Over twenty years old, I suppose. My mum told me it was good luck because when she wore it for one match, Gryffindor won."

Rose smiled. "I remember that. That was the match my dad was Keeper for the first time. He never stops talking about it, even after...27 years."

Laughing, the two girls enjoyed their quick breakfasts, which Rose actually managed to wolf down. Talking with Holly helped calm her nerves tremendously. 

Suddenly, cheers erupted from the Gryffindor table. Rose followed everyone's gazes to the entrance, where Scorpius, Albus, and the rest of the Gryffindor Quidditch team sauntered in, smiles beaming from the praise. Seeing how happy Scorpius looked, Rose couldn't help but smile. 

"Why aren't you with the team?" Holly asked, snapping Rose out of her trance. 

She shrugged, not replying, her eyes still following Scorpius. He looked really good in his Quidditch uniform. The scarlet on his robes was a stark contrast against his icy skin. Rose realized how much she missed her boyfriend, and stood up, prepared to go greet him with a loving hug. But she abruptly stopped in her tracks, her whole body tensing up and her face paling.