Chapter 51: Scorpius Hosts Quidditch Tryouts

Scorpius never thought he would say this, but he was currently experiencing a hangover. 

Let's just say that the Halloween dance included much more than harmless dancing, endless amounts of candies and treats, and even a butterbeer fountain.

Sometime after the dance, (Scorpius's memory was fuzzy) a large group of older Gryffindor students went up to the common room and had a sort of an after-party. An idiotic 7th year had smuggled a few bottles of firewhisky from Merlin knows where, and that's when the chaos started. Scorpius regretted taking part in the illegal activity, but because he was in the running for Quidditch captain, he had a reputation to maintain. It was so unlike him; a top-of-the-class prefect downing over half a bottle of firewhisky and partying around Gryffindor common room drunkenly. But the idea at the time had been ever so riveting. 

Scorpius's mind suddenly came back into focus. He'd zoned out for a while and forgot he was sitting at a table at the Three Broomsticks with his friends. 

"Scorpius, are you even listening to me?" Rose asked him furiously, frantically waving her hand over his face.

"No, sorry," Scorpius slurred. He was so damn tired.

"I said, I can't believe you drank firewhisky last night, Scorpius! Have you gone mad?" Rose whispered harshly, muttering the word 'firewhisky' like it was forbidden. 

Judging by his wooziness and unawareness, Scorpius felt like he had gone mad. Instead of saying anything, he groaned and clutched his pounding head.

"Do you guys see stars? I see stars," Albus said, slurring his words even more than Scorpius. 

Oh yes. Albus was hungover also. Of all people, Albus Potter had actually chugged down a dangerously intoxicating alcoholic beverage at a party that took place after midnight. And it was quite a sight.

"I can't believe what I am seeing," Rose muttered, resting her head in her hands. 

"They look dead," Holly said wrinkling her nose.

"What even happened last night? I barely remember anything after Albus started drinking too," Scorpius groaned, wishing his memory would work.

"Well," Rose sighed, crossing her arms on the table. "After Albus chugged down a full bottle of firewhisky, you two started dancing together and shouting some pretty explicit things that you probably don't want to know about. Holly and I retreated upstairs to our room before it got worse, thank Merlin. But when we came downstairs this morning, we found you two sleeping on the stairs in your underwear."

Scorpius and Albus groaned in sync, cringing at the details. And also because the lighting in the room was much too bright.

"That's what you two get for being stupid," Holly told them in a sing-song voice. The cheery pitch of her voice made Scorpius's head start pounding more.

"At least you didn't get caught. I heard the majority of those who were at the after-party all got busted," Rose pointed out. 

To Scorpius's luck, he heard the door nearby chime, and watched as Professor McGonagall strode into the Three Broomsticks, her eyes immediately locking on him and Albus. The look on her face was enough to summon the boys over to her. 

They ended up getting detention with her for a month.

* * *

Scorpius definitely learned from his drunken experience that took place on Halloween night. Fortunately, he didn't lose his position as a prefect, nor his place on the Quidditch team. For a month, on every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon, he and Albus were to clean McGonagall's classroom. And with so many students visiting her class every single day, the room tended to get quite messy. It was not a fun time, but Scorpius felt like he deserved it.