Chapter 71: The Eve Of The Prophecy

Finishing the letter with flick of his quill, Albus sat back and reread what he'd just written:

"Dear Mum and Dad,

I know the Christmas holidays are coming up really soon, and I'm sure you have already planned for me and my friends to come to the Burrow for the usual celebration. Well...this year there's been a slight change in plans. I'm not coming home for Christmas, and neither are Rose, Scorpius, or Holly. I'm afraid I can't go into much detail as to why. Let's just say we have some unfinished business to attend to here at Hogwarts.

Judging by my last sentence, you guys probably have your suspicions as to what we're doing. Things are happening here at Hogwarts, and leaving right now wouldn't be the wise thing to do. My friends and I have a responsibility here that we cannot abandon. Trust me, I would much rather be at the Burrow stuffing my face with deviled eggs and receiving my millionth Christmas sweater from Grandma. I hope you both understand the decision that my friends and I had to make.

Please don't worry too much about us. (Yes, Mum, I'm mainly talking to you.) Whatever happens within the next few weeks, if anything happens at all, my friends and I are prepared. Rose keeps telling me that she's been having a gut feeling lately that something will happen soon. And I can't help but agree with her.

I wish you all well, and tell everyone that I'm sorry my friends and I couldn't make it. Tell all my uncles, aunts, and cousins that I love them. Tell Grandma to send my sweater in the mail. Tell Grandpa to remember to give me driving lessons in the flying car as soon as I visit the Burrow again. Tell James he can have all the deviled eggs this year. And last but not least, tell Ariana that her big brother Albus loves her with all his heart.

Goodbye, for now. Write back as soon as you can.

Love always, Albus"

A lump formed in Albus's throat as he read the last few sentences. It wasn't fair. He should be going to the Burrow this Christmas, a tradition he'd been following since he was born, not staying at Hogwarts and being burdened by a prophecy that was surely arriving at any moment. The constant paranoia and anxiety was eating him alive. He wanted to be free from this daunting responsibility.

Sacrifices must be made to protect what matters most, Godric Gryffindor reminded him. He'd been giving Albus a lot of mental pep talks lately.

The wise man was right. Hogwarts was in danger, and its fate was resting in the hands of him and his friends. They had to make sure no harm came to their beloved school. That was their top priority right now, and nothing else. The prophecy was inexorable.

After reading over his letter a few more times, Albus sealed it in an envelope and attached it to Nightingale, Scorpius's owl. She chirped happily and flew out the window, soaring to her destination. Albus let out a shaky breath as he shut the window.

"It had to be done," Scorpius remarked from across the room, sprawled on his bed engrossed in a book. "I had to write to my parents, and so did Rose and Holly."

"I hate leaving them in the dark on this," Albus replied frustratedly, running his fingers through his hair.

"I know you do," Scorpius told him, shutting his book and sitting up. "But it's necessary. We're not involving anybody in this that doesn't need to be."

His friend had a point. Albus couldn't imagine something happening to someone he loved because they fought in a battle that wasn't theirs to fight. The prophecy was meant for four destined people, and no one else. Then Albus thought about how familiar this situation seemed.

His father, the chosen one, was the product of a prophecy that seemed impossible to tackle. And he was meant to do it on his own. Then others got involved on their own accord, many losing their lives in the process. Albus didn't know how his father was still sane. He didn't know what he'd do if he had to live with the guilt of others dying on his behalf.