Chapter 17: The End?

Rose thought she and her friends were all goners when 4 wands were pointed to each of them, prepared to fire a killing curse. She couldn't help but choke out a sob. Was this really how she was going to die?

Then a miracle happened.

Out of nowhere, a familiar squeaky voice screamed, "Reducto!" Hugo had saved their lives.

Rose sobbed and laughed with relief. Scorpius tugged on her arm and pulled her away from the couch as the chandelier shattered on the floor, crushing Lydia, Margo, and the two men. For the first time since she could remember, Rose wanted to run up to her brother and give him a bone-crushing hug. That action was sadly forgotten about when all of a sudden, the wooden front doors of Malfoy Manor exploded, sending splintery wood in all directions. 

Of course something else was bound to happen, thought Rose glumly. 

When the dust cleared, Rose's heart sunk when she saw who was standing at the door. It was Lucius Malfoy along with his Death Eaters, standing tall and intimidating, his teeth bared and his wand pointed straight at the teens, ready to kill. 

Lucius walked into the mansion, looking around at his surroundings with disgust and at the same time, longing. This was his former home, after all. His sharp, pale eyes scanned the room until they landed on the shattered chandelier on the living room floor. He rolled his eyes when he saw the four crushed wizards underneath it. Lydia happened to be the only one moving, trying to crawl out of the rubble. 

"So," Lucius said to Lydia. "You disobeyed me when I said to avoid coming here and killing the Potter and Weasley children, even when I specifically told you that I was to be the one to kill them. Instead you come here, destroy my possessions," he gestured at the broken chandelier, "Kidnap my son and his wife, as well of the Longbottom's, and you almost try to murder my grandson." Lucius glanced at Scorpius, and the two of them shared intense eye contact. Rose nearly winced when his gaze moved to her. 

"Lucius, I-I-I apologize! It wasn't my idea!" Lydia pleaded. But Lucius already had his wand pointed at her.

"That's a lie, Lydia," Lucius snapped. He pointed his wand straight at her heart. "You know what happens when people disobey my orders. Avada Kedavra!" 

Rose watched in horror as a flash of green light illuminated the room, the curse immediately killing Lydia, leaving her sprawled on the floor, her lifeless dead eyes staring straight ahead. Lucius smiled in satisfaction as he watched Lydia die. 

What was he going to do next?

Two Death Eaters marched down the stairs, dragging Hugo and Lily with them. Rose teared up when she saw how terrified her brother looked.

"Grandfather, why are you doing this?" Scorpius suddenly blurted out, shocking probably everyone in the room. Especially Lucius.

Lucius was speechless for a moment. He stared at his grandson as if he weren't real, then he did the unthinkable. He smiled warmly at Scorpius.

"Scorpius, why, I believe this is the first time we've properly spoken to each other. You look just like your father, you know," said Lucius.

"Please answer my question," Scorpius repeated, and he was surprisingly very calm. "Why are you doing this? Why are you trying to kill the most innocent family and most amazing people that I've ever met? They don't deserve this, Grandfather." 

Lucius was speechless yet again. Rose guessed it was probably because he wasn't expecting Scorpius to be saying more than three words to him. She just hoped Scorpius could buy them enough time for them to figure out how to get out of this. Or at least for another miracle to happen.

"I see my foolish son and your mother have softened you up. You're no true Malfoy. Just look at you. You were Sorted into damn Gryffindor house!" Lucius bared his teeth again, something Rose noticed he did when he was very angry. It reminded her of an angry ferret.

"I don't care what you think. I'm proud to be a Gryffindor. And I'm also proud that I'm the first Malfoy to be a Gryffindor," Scorpius replied, standing tall and confident. Rose knew why Scorpius was Sorted into Gryffindor. He was one of the bravest people she knew. 

Lucius lifted his wand and took turns pointing it at each of them. Even Scorpius. 

"I could easily just kill every one of you right now. It would be so much easier for the magical world. Ever since Harry Potter's prophecy, the one that involves you four is something this world just isn't ready for."

Rose's heart sunk. A prophecy? That involves the four of them? How could this be? No wonder they've been targets for the Death Eaters. 

"What prophecy are you talking about?" Scorpius demanded, his voice trembling. 

Lucius gulped. Whatever it was, the idea probably scared Lucius Malfoy more than anything. "Let's just say you'll know soon enough."

Rose had a feeling it wasn't going to be good.

"Lucius," a Death Eater blurted out. "Your Apparation Detection Charm just detected 5 wizards Apparating about 15 miles near the Malfoy property."

Cursing under his breath, Lucius gestured for 3 other Death Eaters to walk over to him. He muttered something to them, then they each pulled out their wands. Lucius pointed his wand straight at Albus, and the other 3 Death Eaters pointed their wands at Holly, Rose, and Scorpius. Rose knew exactly what was going to happen.

"I apologize that this must happen, but it's necessary," Lucius explained. His gaze locked on Albus, as if he was a predator focusing on his prey. 

Rose glanced at Hugo and Lily, who were across the room. They were both in tears. Hopefully, as smart as they were, Hugo and Lily would manage to outsmart the Death Eaters and find a way to escape. 

Then Rose felt Scorpius's fingers intertwine with hers. On the other side of her, Albus grabbed her other hand, and he also was holding Holly's hand. Rose closed her eyes, hoping that would make the experience of dying less scary. She kept thinking of her, Scorpius, Albus, and Holly walking through the halls of Hogwarts, laughing until they cried about a stupid joke, and of all those late nights the four of them sat in the Gryffindor common room, just talking among themselves. Those small moments were what Rose looked forward to everyday. She just wished she hadn't taken them for granted. And those moments happened to be her last thought.

Simultaniously, Lucius and the 3 other Death Eaters muttered just loud enough for Rose to hear it clearly, "Avada Kedavra."

~ ~

I'm so mean haha... I know that cliffhanger was insane and I apologize! Anyways, vote and comment! Thank you so much for reading!