Chapter 18: Albus Meets Albus

Albus waited for it. He expected pain to hit him like a freight train when the killing curse hit him. Only it didn't happen. Was dying really this easy? He recalled what his father told him about his experience "dying."

"I felt absolutely nothing when Voldemort's killing curse hit me," his father had said. "I just closed my eyes, filled my mind with the thought of my parents, my godfather Sirius, and my good friend Remus Lupin, and just like that, I was gone. Or at least I thought I was gone."

"But where did you go?" Albus had asked. He was nine years old at the time.

His father smiled. "It's kind of hard to explain. Maybe when you're older, Al."

Now Albus had an idea of what his father was talking about. He was gone, but at the same time, not really. Finally, Albus was able to open his eyes, and he winced at how white his surroundings were. He was standing in what looked the hallway in the Ministry of Magic, only clean and pure white. The setting was strangely identical to what it looked like in his creepy, repetive dream he always had.

Albus looked around, and noticed he wasn't alone. Nearby were the rows and rows of motionless people, just like in his dream. Only they were all dressed in white instead of gray. Albus's heart leaped when he saw his parents, Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione, his brother and sister, and even Rose, Hugo, Scorpius, and Holly. All of them stared straight ahead, their facial expressions similar to a zombie.

"There's nothing you can do for them," a voice said from right behind Albus.

Albus yelped and spun around. Behind him stood an old man with a long, white beard. He looked oddly familiar. He exclaimed, not meaning to curse, "Who the bloody hell are you?"

The old man chuckled and replied, "You mean you don't recognize me? The very man your father named you after?"

No way, Albus thought.

"Wait, you're Albus Dumbledore?" Albus said, amazed. This man was his father's idol.

Dumbledore chuckled and nodded. "The one and only. And I'm guessing you're wondering why you're here with me, Albus?"

Albus nodded, speechless, still looking at Dumbledore like he was Merlin himself. Then he gestured around at his motionless loved ones. "Do you know why I keep seeing them like this in my dreams?"

Dumbledore looked around at the people thoughtfully. "That is quite strange. I don't think I'm qualified to answer that question."

Not qualified? He was Albus freaking Dumbledore!

"Um, okay." Albus decided to change the subject. "About why I'm here. Can you tell me that?"

Dumbledore smiled, then gestured for Albus to follow him as he walked. "You see, Albus, this is a strange world. Children who are born to become wizards encounter bizarre things. This is especially true for you. The Potter family has a long history, but I'm sure you know that already. You know your father's time at Hogwarts wasn't exactly the easiest. He was practically raised just to die, you know."

There was a brief pause. Probably Dumbledore letting that much information sink in for Albus.

"Anyways," Dumbledore continued. "I'm probably not supposed to tell you this, but I will anyway. You know how a part of Lord Voldemort's soul was attached to your father, Harry Potter, when he almost killed him with the killing curse. What saved your father was love. And that is exactly what happened to you just a few moments ago. The power of your love between your friends saved all of your lives. Yes, Rose Weasley, Holly Longbottom, and Scorpius Malfoy are alive and well too, just in odd situations like you are now."

Albus blinked, obviously stunned. "So I'm not dead?"

Dumbledore shook his head. "No, you are not dead. Just temporarily away from the world."

Away from the world? Wow, his father wasn't kidding when he said Dumbledore was vague at times.

"So, when will I get back?" Albus asked hopefully.

Dumbledore shrugged, which scared Albus. He needed to get back to his life!

"In time, Albus," was all Dumbledore said. "Just be patient. And remember that you are not dead."

Before Albus could protest, the world went black.

~ ~ ~

Sorry it's short! The next chapter will be updated at the same time as this one!

Remember to vote and comment what you think! Thanks for reading! :)