Chapter 48: A Boost Of Bravery

When spells started flying across the room, on instinct, Scorpius shoved his friends to the floor. He couldn't believe this was happening again. Why did Lucius Malfoy have to come and ruin everything?

Someone in the room cried out in pain, and Scorpius prayed that whoever it was wasn't seriously hurt. He didn't realize just how hard his heart was beating in his chest, which explained why the lights were flickering rhythmically like a heartbeat. Mixed in with the blinding streams of light flying everywhere like strobe lights were random objects darting around haphazardly. Scorpius was crouched behind the couch with Rose, Holly, and Albus, each cringing as things continued to crash near them. He was gripping Rose's hand for dear life, trying to concentrate on the pulse in her wrist instead of how terrified he was.

Suddenly, the sofa was hit with something and cracked in half, making the four friends yelp at the startling impact. Their only cover was now futile.

"We can't just stay here behind this broken couch!" Albus yelled over the chaos.

"Then what do you propose we do, then, Al?" Scorpius snapped impatiently, his nerves starting to get the best of him.

Hiding behind a broken couch won't solve anything, Salazar Slytherin said pointedly in Scorpius's mind.

Scorpius growled in frustration and thought back, Now is not the time!

Rose gasped and pointed towards the back door in the kitchen. Scorpius knew what she was thinking, and the idea was insane. "We can sneak past Lucius and make a run for it!"

Scorpius peeked around the couch arm and spotted Lucius dueling with his parents. Why did Lucius pick now to start a fight? He sort of had an unfair disadvantage, it being eight against one. But Scorpius was definitely not complaining.

Rose did have a point though; the back door in the kitchen was in clear view, and it would be quite easy to sneak away. But it was still way too dangerous.

"We can't. It's too risky, Rose," Scorpius told her, shaking his head. He searched desperately in his mind for another way out of this.

Then, to Scorpius's horror, Rose stood up on her feet, now completely revealed from her hiding place. He frantically pulled at her arm to pull her back down, but she didn't budge. She had a look of pure determination on her face.

Your companion has courage, Salazar said.

Scorpius ignored the annoying man in his head. He pleaded to Rose, "Get back down!"

The floor beneath them suddenly began shaking. Oh no...

"Scorpius, we need to get out of here. The four of us are all scared right now. We could possibly bring the entire house down," Holly said nervously, watching as tiny cracks in the ceiling began spider-webbing their way around the whole room.

She was right. While the four of them were in this house, everyone in it was in danger. The thought of potentially killing everyone made the room tremble even more. Finally, the adults battling seemed to notice.

"Kids, go!" Albus's father commanded, pointing to the kitchen door.

For some reason, Scorpius's feet wouldn't budge. He was frozen in fear and shock as his grandfather's eyes met his.

Lucius chuckled wickedly, showing off his gruesome, yellow teeth. "I knew this would happen. I just knew it. The children aren't ready for what's coming."

"What are you talking about? Of course they're ready," Albus's mother growled, pointing her wand at Lucius's face.

"Easy there, Weasley," Lucius cooed at her, making her eyes widen with rage. Albus's father had to hold her back. "I'm simply pointing out the obvious. Their destiny is approaching quite soon, and there's no way a bunch of children can handle it. They can't even handle a simple little magical brawl without their powers getting out of hand!"