Chapter 80: Aftermath

The cleanup process, tending to the injured, and search and rescue began immediately. It was quite beautiful, really, seeing everyone come together as a school and community during such a disastrous time. That's what was amazing about Hogwarts. Those who inhabited it, or even used to inhabit it, were willing to do whatever it took to protect and rebuild it. And that display of loyalty to the beloved school was what led to its victory.

The hospital wing was full to its capacity with those in need, whose injuries scaled from minor scrapes and bruises to more serious conditions such as broken limbs and curse damage. Madame Carmine and several other teachers and experienced healers were working nonstop to help those needing their healing. Even when his mother insisted he get looked at by a healer, Albus knew others needed help much more than he did. Though his parents wouldn't let him out of their sight, which was understandable. He settled on lingering in the background out of the way.

Albus couldn't help but gaze around the hospital wing and smile, grateful for those who were still alive and those who assisted in the battle. Holly was beaming while exchanging hugs with her parents, who were pressing kisses to their daughter's head. Rose and Scorpius were leaning on one another, occasionally sharing kisses, while their parents conversed in a friendly manner. Hugo and Uncle George were laughing, which lightened the moods of people around them. Then Albus's eyes landed on Lily and Viktor Krum Jr., who were holding hands and standing much too close to his liking, though he decided to ignore it for now.

His eyes searched the room for more of his family members, since many of them had shown up for the battle. Thank Merlin all of them were alright.

"I'm not gonna lie, this will hurt a bit," Albus heard his brother's voice from nearby. James was kneeling in front of a crying young girl with a long cut on her leg. Their cousin Teddy was sitting criss-crossed next to her, averting her attention from her leg to his changing hair colors. The girl giggled at Teddy while James healed her leg. The sight made the corners of Albus's lips lift up slightly.

"How are you feeling?" a familiar voice brought his attention away from his brother and Teddy. Albus smiled as his father sat down next to him, grunting a bit in the process. He recalled his father had been injured from Salazar's binding spell.

"Relieved," Albus answered honestly. "What about you?"

"A bit sore, but I'll live," his father replied, then chuckled. "Your mother won't stop pestering me to go to St. Mungos."

Albus laughed. "You know how she is. I nearly got killed tonight multiple times, and she's worried about a small cut on my arm." He lifted up his arm and dropped it back on his lap.

His father frowned, not very amused by his son joking about dying. "You know, before you, James, Lily, or Ariana were born, I only wanted one thing if I were to ever have children."

"What's that?" Albus asked curiously.

"For my children to have normal, happy lives," said his father, swallowing. "I didn't want any child of mine to have to go through what I had to go through. And I hate that you had to experience the same mess that I did."

"I hate it too," Albus agreed, then offered a small grin. "But you're Harry Potter. You didn't really expect the original, as Mum quotes it, 'Trouble Sponge,' to spawn normal children, did you?"

His father let out a deep chuckle. "It was a long shot, wasn't it?" Then he gave Albus an amused look. "'Trouble Sponge?' Well, your mother has always had a certain aptitude for creating names."

Albus and his father continued their joking banter for a while, something the two of them have missed dearly. The two have always had a special bond, unique from his father's relationship with James and Lily. It was nice to reinstate that father and son bond, even if the circumstance was unusual.