Chapter 69: The Mysterious Traitor and Scorpius's Mistake

A slender female figure cloaked in all black tiptoed through the dark, chilly night, away from Hogwarts castle. She knew the trip to meet their boss was risky, but if she didn't show up, people dear to her would be in danger. Each step was slow and reluctant, paranoid that someone was following close behind. The night was unbelievably silent. Shivering, the figure kept trudging along.

Eventually, she made it to a deserted alleyway in Hogsmeade, where three hooded figures were waiting. In the darkness, their shadows appeared even more menacing.

"Lumos," a gruff voice muttered, their wand filling the alleyway with dim light. The slender figure trembled at the sight of their boss's pale, malevolent face.

"Good evening, child," Lucius Malfoy drawled, offering a wicked smile. "I trust that you have brought the information that I requested?"

The figure nodded frantically, trying to put on a brave demeanor. "Y-Yes, Mr. Malfoy, I do. Your grandson and his friends have been preparing for the prophecy, as well as visiting the Chamber of Secrets frequently."

Lucius nodded, pleased with the information. Thankfully, everything was going accordingly. If it wasn't, well, his followers would pay the price for souring his mood. "And the condition of the egg?"

"Still not hatched yet," the figure replied. "Although it's close. I can sense the serpent's eagerness to break out of its shell."

"Of course you can," Lucius said, then frowned. "How long does it have?"

"I give it another month."

Lucius smiled, satisfied with the news. "Excellent. That should give the reincarnations plenty of time to prepare for what's coming. I do enjoy a fair fight."

His two followers flanking either side of him each chuckled darkly, sending chills up the figure's spine. Secretly, she was rooting for the reincarnations. She's seen what the four of them can do, and it was quite impressive.

But it wasn't enough to defeat the upcoming basilisk and an army of vicious Death Eaters.

As much as the figure hated to admit it, Hogwarts and all Muggleborns were doomed.

Lucius dismissed the figure, to her relief, and she ran nearly all the way back to Hogwarts. It tormented her every waking moment of the day knowing she was a traitor, working for the Death Eaters who were planning to destroy Hogwarts. After all, she'd grown up at Hogwarts; it didn't deserve what was coming.

Unfortunately, there was nothing else to do now except wait and continue following Lucius's orders.

* * *

Albus yawned, not even bothering to pay attention anymore as he patrolled the first floor of Hogwarts. The definite downside of being a prefect was having to patrol the school after curfew. There were rarely any rule breakers anymore, so it was quite a boring job. Albus was about to head back up to Gryffindor common room when he heard rushed footsteps and sobbing.

Following the source of the noise, he quickly turned a corner, walking right into someone. Albus had never actually caught someone sneaking out after curfew, especially someone who was crying. He wished Holly were here with him to handle the situation.

"Hey, um, you're not supposed to be out in the corridors after curfew..." Albus said lamely, trying to get a look at the person. They were wearing a long black cloak with a hood that concealed their identity.

"You don't think I know that?" the mysterious person snapped, their shrill voice revealing that they were female. "Out of my way, Potter. You don't want me to do something we'll both regret."