Chapter 66: That's Not A Rock

Scorpius almost reached out and pulled Albus away from the opening of the pipe, but it was too late. His best friend had disappeared down the pipe that would lead him to the Chamber of Secrets. It's been decades since anyone has been down there. (At least that's what Scorpius thought.) Who knows what could be in that chamber now, 30 years after Harry Potter defeated the basilisk that had inhabited it.

"Well," Rose spoke up, crouching down in front of the entrance of the pipe, peering down it. "I suppose we should follow him now..."

"Let me go first," Scorpius blurted out, not knowing what came over him.

Rose lifted an eyebrow curiously. "Any particular reason?"

"Um...n-no." Why was he acting so weird around her all of a sudden?

"Are you worried about me?" Rose asked, smirking in suggestion.

Scorpius felt his face heat up, and he mentally cursed himself. She was purposely making him act like a fool! "No! I just figured I ought to be a gentlemen and go first, you know?"

"Sure," Rose replied, her back turned to him, facing the pipe again. He could by her tone that she was still smirking. "Though I appreciate the gesture, I don't need you to act manly and tough in front of me. Unlike you, I'm not afraid. See?"

And with that, Rose sat down and pushed off, vanishing down the pipe. She acted as if it were a safe, fun water slide.

Scorpius couldn't help but feel a twinge of something when Rose slid down the pipe. And that was worry. Why worry for Rose so much, but feel completely fine with his other two friends going down that pipe? He didn't understand. He couldn't possibly...

"You still have feelings for her," Holly suddenly said, making Scorpius jump. He'd almost forgotten that she was standing there.

"W-what?" he choked out incredulously, wide-eyed.

"You heard me," Holly retorted, crossing her arms over her chest.

Scorpius shook his head in disbelief. "Why would you think...?"

Holly giggled. "Are you daft? It's obvious, isn't it? You two have been flirting nonstop all day..."

"She's the one flirting with me!" Scorpius yelled, then realized how loud that was, hoping Rose couldn't hear them all the way down the pipe. He lowered his voice and added, "If anything, she's the one who has feelings for me."

Holly sighed, letting Scorpius's words sink in. "Look, I'm as surprised by Rose's actions as you are. It's not like her to be so...bold. Maybe you're right and she does have feelings for you, and her way of dealing with it is teasing you."

Scorpius thought about that possibility. It did seem logical. He hated to admit it, but the idea of Rose having feelings for him again excited him. Was he denying his own feelings?

"Okay," he said slowly, choosing his words carefully. "Let's say I do have feelings for her..."

"So you admit it?" Holly asked excitedly, hopping in place.

"No," Scorpius interjected, maybe a little too fast. "This is a what if scenario. What if I had feelings for her back? How would we possibly deal with that? It's not like we can ever start dating again. What I did to her was unforgivable."

Holly pursed her lips, then asked after a moment. "What if she's ready to forgive you?"

Scorpius sighed, knowing that idea was too big of a long shot. Rose was extremely stubborn, which made the likelihood of her forgiving him for cheating on her imperceptible. But another part of him thought, If that's the case, then why does she keep teasing me?