Chapter 2: Arrival At Hogwarts

The train had finally eased to a halt, which made Rose's heart pound with excitement. She was finally at Hogwarts, where she knew she belonged. All the stories her parents told her about their adventures at the school made her want to explore everything for herself. Rose inherited her mother's intelligence and love for learning, but also contained her father's thirst for adventure and curiosity. She was so busy imagining herself at Hogwarts for the next 7 years, that she accidentally dropped her school trunk on her way off the train.

Luckily Scorpius, the boy she met a few moments ago, bent down beside her to lift her trunk for her. In that moment, Rose got a glimpse at his pale blue, almost gray, eyes. They literally took her breath away. She came back to reality when Scorpius cleared his throat.

"Rose? Are you alright?" He asked, his eyes filled with worry.

Rose's cheeks suddenly felt hot when she heard him say her name, but she replied, "Oh yes! I'm fine. Um, thanks for picking up my school trunk for me."

Scorpius gave a small smile. "No problem." He offered his hand to her to help her to her feet, since they were both kneeling, and Rose gladly accepted it. His hand was quite cold, and sent goosebumps up her arm. When he let go of her hand, she secretly longed for his touch again.

"First years, this way! Follow me!" A loud voice boomed among the train platform. It wasn't hard to spot Hagrid towering over everyone, waving his massive arm for the first year students to see. Rose was glad she'd encountered her first adult at Hogwarts, and she knew him well. Hagrid occasionally came by during holidays and birthdays to deliver presents and to say hello to her parents and Uncle Harry and Aunt Ginny. To Rose, Hagrid was almost like a caring grandfather.

Hagrid beamed when he spotted her, James, and Albus. "Ah, hello lit'le Rose an' Albus! An' hello to yer too, James! I see yer've grown an inch er two this summer!"

James puffed out his chest as to prove he was more manly now. Albus rolled his eyes and Rose giggled.

"Let's go, first years!" Hagrid yelled again, rounding up all the first year students. James bid Rose and Albus goodbye and went to join his friends by the carriages. As for Rose and Albus, they had to ride the boats to Hogwarts.

All the first year students crowded into the small boats and set off towards the castle. Inside the boat with Rose was Albus, Scorpius, a small girl with almost unnaturally pale skin, startling big and dreamy gray eyes, and extremely long and wild chestnut brown colored hair, and a boy who she thought she remembered as Dennis Finnigan. Rose could feel the nervous tension between all of them. They were approaching Hogwarts castle quite quickly.

The boats stopped at the docks and the first years anxiously piled out and made their way towards the front doors of the school. The wooden doors were gigantic and seemed scary at first. But then those doors opened and immediately Rose felt at home. The Great Hall loomed ahead of them and was filled with the excited voices of students. The atmosphere was so bright and homey. Rose instantly fell in love.

Beside her, she heard Scorpius let out a small gasp. She glanced over at him and saw he was just as amazed as she was.

Then an old, stern-looking woman wearing green robes and a pointy wizards hat strode over towards the first years. She seemed intimidating at first, but when she gave a warm smile and Rose instantly felt better. She knew this woman. Her parents told her about Professor McGonagall, and all the great things she'd done while they were at Hogwarts. McGonagall was Headmistress of the school.

"Hello, first years!" She beamed at them, smiling at each child warmly. "Welcome to our beloved school, Hogwarts. I ensure you your time here will consist of learning how to be powerful witches and wizards, learning about our world, and most importantly, building unforgettable friendships. Most of your parents were Hogwarts alumni, and their relationships started here. Maybe most of you shall do the same when you graduate from here."