Chapter 63: The Last Trip To Hogwarts

(Important author's note at the end)

One more day, Rose Weasley. One day remains until your seventh year begins.

These few words made Rose wake with a start at the midnight hour of the 31st of August. Ever since summer break began, Rowena Ravenclaw became Rose's personal calendar. And Rowena was annoyingly punctual in reminding her what day it was.

The constant reminders only added to Rose's anxiety of the upcoming school year. Her seventh year, the very last year at Hogwarts. It didn't seem likely at all that in a year from now, she wouldn't be preparing to go back to her beloved school. Rose would probably have a job, and be a real working citizen of the wizarding world. She'd be an adult.

Rose had thought about growing up and leaving Hogwarts more times than she preferred. Topics such as the prophecy that was quickly approaching her and her friends, her ideal career choice once she left Hogwarts, and even marriage always found their way into Rose's thoughts. Over the summer, she constantly felt suffocated by the realization that she was indeed growing up, it was sadly inevitable. Why did the concept of growing up bother her so much? She was Rose Weasley, the brightest girl in her year.

But being the brightest came with an immense amount of pressure. People expected her to do well and exceed normal standards. Rose couldn't help but wonder lately if out in the real world, could she succeed and make everyone proud? Her biggest fear was failure, and the thought of it always made her nearly hyperventilate.

Just thinking about it now was causing Rose's breathing to become more rapid. She laid back down on her bed, counting the fake stars she charmed to move and twinkle on her ceiling. Rose loved her bedroom at her own house, which she rarely got to spend time in because her family was always at the Burrow during summer breaks. Sure, the room looked more like a girly oasis for an 11 year old, but it was homey and reminded her of her childhood. Plus, her room briefly assuaged her fears of growing up whenever she was in it.

Before her late night existential crisis could worsen, a small knock on her door snapped her out of her plaguing thoughts. Who the heck was knocking on her bedroom door at midnight?

Rose climbed out of her bed and lightly hopped over the creakiest floorboards until she reached her door. She pulled it open, revealing her brother standing in the doorway. His newly taller height never failed to surprise her.

"Hugo, what are you doing awake? And why are you bothering me at this hour?" Rose whispered harshly, inviting him inside her bedroom. Their mother was a fairly light sleeper, so she prayed they wouldn't wake her.

Hugo rubbed his eyes, reminding Rose of all the times when they were young, when he would sneak into her room during the night after being awakened by nightmares. "I need to talk to you."

"Hugo, you are 15 years old. If you had a nightmare, just go back to sleep..."

"It's not that!" Hugo protested a little too loudly. Rose pressed her finger to her lips and shushed him furiously.

"Then what's wrong?" She asked her brother impatiently, her exhaustion making her cranky.

Hugo stared at his sister with concern. "How are you?"

Rose blinked. "How am I? Hugo, please go back to bed-"

"Rose, I'm serious," Hugo interrupted. "Nearly every night this summer, I see the light of your lamp shining under your door, and I know you're awake. It's because you're stressed out. What's bothering you?"

Rose stared at Hugo incredulously. She always forgot that he was growing up also, and that he was only two years younger than her. It was evident that he had matured greatly this past year. He was wiser, much taller, and was growing into the spitting image of their father.