Chapter 3: The First Day

Scorpius couldn't believe what happened last night. How in Merlin did he get sorted in Gryffindor? He was a Malfoy! All Malfoy's are destined to be Slytherins. He shuddered at the thought of what his parents would think. Mostly of what his father would think. His father Draco told him the story of how he wanted to change his ways after the Battle of Hogwarts, and he decided blood statuses weren't important anymore. But still, Scorpius wanted to make his family proud by continuing on the family legacy. He sure wasn't going to do that while being a Gryffindor.

Although the outcome didn't satisfy Scorpius at first, another part of him was happy he was Sorted into Gryffindor. All his life, wizard children refused to befriend him because of his family's past. You could say Scorpius was a lonely child. He wasn't expecting much friendship activity to happen for him when he arrived at Hogwarts. But he was gladly mistaken. When he expected to be kicked out of the compartment on the train by Rose Weasley and Albus Potter, they accepted him. And he'd forever be grateful for this.

Maybe he'd have friends after all. Rose and Albus were great. He especially admired how kind Rose was. The thing that worried him though was that he possibly might...fancy her. No, he told himself. Rose was quite pretty, smart, and very kind, but he doubted she'd like him back. But part of him thought, "We DO have 6 more years here. You never know what could happen between you two."

Scorpius sighed. He couldn't let this bother him anymore. Today was the first day of class. He had no idea why he decided to wake up at 5:00 in the morning, when he didn't have to be up for breakfast until 7. Everyone else in his dorm was still fast asleep, some snoring slightly. Scorpius decided to walk down to the common room and write for a while.

Nobody knew his passion. Scorpius absolutely loved to write. He never bothered to tell anyone because he was embarrassed. Boys his age didn't sit around and write novels and poems all day. They liked playing Quidditch and doing other normal things eleven year old boys did. Scorpius liked playing Quidditch, and it would be nice if he could possibly play for the Gryffindor team one day, but writing was his comfort hobby. He preferred to express his thoughts and imagination on parchment more often than flying, really.

Quietly as possible, he tip-toed down the stairs and sneaked into the dark common room. When he made his way towards the small desk in the corner, as if it sensed him, the fireplace roared to life by itself. Scorpius was startled, yet sighed in relief that he had light to see. He took his quill and roll of parchment out of his sleep robe and laid it out on the table. Then, he began to write.

As he scribbled, he lost sight of the time. Thirty minutes passed and his hand never once stopped moving. He immediately froze when he heard footsteps on the steps.

"Scorpius?" A female voice said.

Scorpius turned and looked to see who was there, and his heart sped up. There stood Rose, dressed in a light pink nightgown, her hair slightly tousled from sleeping. Her eyes were squinting from sleepiness and she let out a huge yawn, which Scorpius found quite cute.

"Uh, hello Rose. What are you doing up?" He asked, moving in his seat to here he was blocking her view from his work on the desk.

Rose rubbed her eyes. "I just woke up...couldn't go back to sleep. May I ask what you're doing up also?" She took a few steps into the common room, sitting on the sofa near where Scorpius was sitting.

Scorpius gulped. "Um, I couldn't sleep either, so I came down here to...do homework."

Rose raised an eyebrow suspiciously. "Homework? Scorpius, we haven't even started school yet. What are you hiding behind your back?" She smirked, standing up and walking over towards him.