Chapter 59: Possible Fancying And A Renewed Friendship

(SURPRISE CHAPTER! I know you're all thinking, WHAT?? MEGAN IS UPDATING TWICE IN A WEEK?! Well, today I felt inspired and felt the need to write a chapter! So, enjoy! And I'll still be updating on Tuesday, just FYI :)

"Alright, define what Murtlap Essence does and list its ingredients," Xander prompted, smiling and waiting for Rose to answer the question he asked from their Potions notes.

Rose smirked. At least give me something challenging. "Murtlap Essence is a solution that soothes painful cuts and abrasions and helps heal them, and contains strained and pickled tentacles of Murtlaps."

Xander's mouth fell open slightly, clearly surprised. "That's the exact definition word for word from the Potions textbook! I don't know how you memorize every detail like that!"

"It's a talent," Rose boasted, leaning back in her chair. Looking around the library, she noticed her and Xander seemed to be the only ones in there. It must be getting late. Then she said, "Hey Xander?"

"Hmm?" Xander replied, his head popping up from looking down at his notes. The way he gazed at Rose with such interest and attention was enough to send butterflies into her stomach.

"You know we've been in here studying for over three hours?" Rose said, shaking her head and smiling with disbelief.

Xander paused in thought and chuckled, running his hand through his magnificent hair. "Wow, you're right. Three hours? I guess time really flies when you're having fun, huh?"

Rose laughed. "You call cramming for Slughorn's 100-question Potions exam tomorrow fun?"

Xander shrugged. "Studying with you makes it fun."

Rose felt her face turn hot, and immediately tried to hide it by staring down at her textbook and avoiding eye contact. Please don't notice me blushing, please don't notice...

"Sorry," Xander blurted out. "That was really cheesy. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable..."

Why was he so sweet? "No, it wasn't," Rose assured him, smiling. "I actually enjoy studying with you also. It makes preparing for exams and getting assignments done a little less stressful, you know?"

"True," Xander agreed, his cheeks slightly pink. Did I just make him blush? "And having a study buddy has also improved my grades."

Rose snorted and joked, "Oh, so that's why you need me? To help you somehow improve your already perfect marks?"

"You know that's not what I meant!" Xander countered, grinning. "And not all my marks are perfect. My score in Potions is one point away from being perfect."

Rose's eyes widened in mock horror. "Oh, Merlin! One dreaded point off from perfection!"

Xander laughed loudly, the sound reverberating off the library walls. It was a beautiful sound. They heard a shush from the librarian, which made them start giggling even more.

"Shh, you're gonna get us kicked out!" Rose whispered, still laughing.

"I can't help it you're so funny and adorable," Xander said back, smiling and trying to suppress his own laughter.

Rose froze and blushed. Funny and adorable?

She decided to play it off jokingly by flipping her hair over her shoulder, saying, "Oh, stop it."

Xander smiled again, his broad shoulders moving up and down from his deep chuckles. Then he frowned when he glanced at clock on the wall. "It's almost curfew. I suppose we should head back to our common rooms?"