Chapter 64: Finding Hope Again And Another Surprise

It was bittersweet for Scorpius to be back at Hogwarts for his seventh year.

He was most definitely glad his torturously boring summer had come to an end, for one. Prior to recent events, summer usually meant getting to spend time at the Burrow with Albus, Holly, and Rose. Instead, Scorpius spent all summer at Malfoy Manor, barely keeping in touch with Albus or Holly. He didn't even bother trying to write to Rose. Scorpius even started counting down the days until school started back, which sounded like something Rose would do.

It seemed every little thing reminded Scorpius of his ex-girlfriend, such as the color red, books, and even the rose bush his mother had planted in the garden. He tried desperately to get the beautiful ginger girl out of his mind, but nothing could suppress his thoughts of her. The image of Rose Weasley had permanently embedded itself into Scorpius's brain.

Seeing Rose on the Hogwarts Express again was like a breath of fresh air. Scorpius swore she had gotten even more alluring. But what really got his attention was the Head Girl badge gleaming on her chest. A rush of excitement filled him again. It gave him hope.

Was it fate that he and Rose were Head Boy and Head Girl? Who knew. Though whatever it was, Scorpius was grateful for it.

He knew he didn't deserve a second chance with Rose. What he'd done to her would probably stick with the both of them forever. But over time, Scorpius had learned to forgive himself. Maybe the same thing would happen with Rose.

Besides the constant thought of Rose Weasley, there was the prophecy to worry about also. All summer, the thought of being one of the ones to save Hogwarts kept nagging at him, along with Salazar Slytherin of course. The fact that this prophecy didn't have a set date made the stakes even higher. It could happen any day at any time this school year. That meant Scorpius and his friends had to be ready.

The lanterns in the carriage he was sitting in flickered, due to Scorpius thinking about the prophecy again. It was best not to think about such anxious topics when near fire or sharp objects.

Scorpius focused on Hogwarts castle, which the line of carriages were quickly approaching. The looming castle was always breathtaking to look at. Suddenly, a terrible image of Hogwarts burning flashed through his vision, vanishing when he blinked again. It reminded him of the images of the Battle of Hogwarts back in 1998 in his History of Magic textbook. Then a horrifying thought occurred to him.

When the prophecy takes place, would the very same thing that happened to Hogwarts back in 1998 happen again?

The thought was truly chilling, and Scorpius wished he could erase it from his mind. Making it worse, images of people dying and Hogwarts crumbling to the ground filled his imagination, which caused the lanterns in the carriage to explode all at once. Albus, Holly, Rose, and Xander, who were in the carriage with him, all yelped at the impact. Scorpius was frozen in horror and embarrassment.

"Aguamenti!" Rose said, extinguishing the small flames that had taken over each lantern. Albus furiously patted one away that had landed on his robes.

"What the bloody hell happened?" Xander asked, wide-eyed.

Scorpius blushed and muttered, "My bad."

Xander stared at him incredulously, while Albus and Holly gave Scorpius looks of concern. They knew something was troubling him, but didn't question him. The rest of the carriage ride was dark from the lack of lanterns and silent.

"Are you alright?" Rose whispered to Scorpius once they'd stepped out of their carriage. The fact that she had spoken to him first caught him by surprise.

Scorpius was about to shrug it off and say he was just tired, but knowing Rose, she wouldn't let it go. Instead, he replied, "Just thinking again."