Chapter 19: Life or Death

Scorpius's eyes flew open and he gasped. Was he dead? He felt to see if he had a body, and thankfully discovered he did. He looked around frantically and discovered he was in the Potions classroom at Hogwarts. Why here? Scorpius knew this was NOT heaven.

Suddenly the door flew open, and in came Rose, to Scorpius's relief. Rose's face lit up when she saw him and they ran to each other. Scorpius pulled Rose into his arms, lifting her up and spinning her around. The two of them laughed, enjoying each other's company. Maybe this was heaven.

"I would appreciate it if you two wouldn't display your affection for each other in my old classroom, Mr. Malfoy and Miss Weasley," a monotonous voice said from across the room.

Rose gasped. "Professor Snape! What are you doing here? Why are we in the Potions classroom?"

Professor Snape? The Professor Snape? Scorpius didn't know if he should be honored or terrified to be in Severus Snape's presence.

"Well, I figured since you two are in the vulnerable state of being between the real world and the unliving world, I'd take this opportunity to discuss important matters with you. And I figured I would choose the place where I feel most comfortable in," Snape explained.

Scorpius felt uneasy.

"What important matters, sir?" Rose asked politely. Scorpius was curious as to how Rose knew Snape so well. Well, she was Rose Weasley. She had her ways.

"Well, first of all," Snape said, "You two are not dead. You may feel like it, but you're not. The killing curse you were hit with has sent you to an unusual reality where you're in between life and death. It's up to you to get yourselves back."

Scorpius glanced at Rose. Her eyebrows were wrinkled in confusion.

"And how did we end up this way? How do we get back to our lives?" Rose asked. Scorpius could tell her mind was filled with a million questions, much like his.

Snape replied, "Love. That's the easiest explanation. I assume you two know the story of how Harry Potter survived the killing curse?"

Scorpius and Rose nodded. Then Snape continued.

"The love between the four of you; you two, Mr. Potter, and Miss Longbottom, created a rebound for the killing curse. Your friendship protected you from death."

Scorpius thought this sounded cheesy, but it was true. The Fantastic Four's friendship really was unbreakable.

"Wow," Rose breathed, clearly surprised.

"So, how exactly do we get back, Professor Snape?" Scorpius asked.

Snape shrugged. "That is not up to me. You two must decide what is worth getting back for."

Scorpius already knew the answer to that. He wanted to be with Rose. He wanted to see his best friends Albus and Holly again. He wanted to go back to Hogwarts and finish out his years there. He wanted to see his mother and father again. But most importantly, he wanted to have a future and see what was in store for him.

Suddenly, black dots flickered in Scorpius's vision. Rose must have saw them too, because she winced and tried to blink them away.

"My time speaking with you is almost up," Snape said quickly. "But I have one more thing to say."

"Yes?" Scorpius replied loudly, his ears beginning to ring and stop receiving sound. But he luckily got to hear what Snape said.

"Promise me you two will bring my portrait to your wedding," Snape said, and even smiled.

Scorpius and Rose held hands as they left the middle passage between life and death. It was up to them to choose which path their souls took.

~ ~

Woah. All I can say is woah.

Remember to vote and comment please! Thank you so much for reading! :D