Chapter 70: Tension On The Rise

(Because it was requested many times that I update more and because you guys are so unbelievably amazing for getting this story to 45k reads, I've decided to update twice this week! Enjoy :)

Rose ran all the way back to Gryffindor common room, her mind in too much of a frenzy to remember to cast a cloaking spell over herself. Her heart was pounding at an unnerving rate, and not just because she was running, and her lips were buzzing from the kiss she'd just received from the boy she had serious mixed feelings for. Why had he kissed her? Why did she kiss back? What did this mean for their strictly-friendly relationship?

With her head still reeling with unanswerable questions, Rose made it to the entrance to the common room, inadvertently yelling the password at the Fat Lady. She stormed through the portrait hole, wanting nothing more than to crawl into her bed and forget about what just happened. If only there was a delete button for certain memories.

Crossing the common room, she suddenly stopped in her tracks to see Albus and Holly snogging passionately on one of the couches. So much for forgetting, Rose thought. Grimacing and shaking her head in disapproval at the sight, she made her way up the steps to the girls' dormitories and into her room, immediately grabbing a pillow off her bed and screaming into it.

Why did her life have to be so complicated? Wasn't being a reincarnation of Rowena Ravenclaw and being destined to save Hogwarts enough for one person?

Scorpius Malfoy just had to be thrown into the equation.

The journey to get to sleep that night was grueling. Rose's thoughts about Scorpius and Rowena's all but helpful comments just wouldn't stop. But eventually when she did make it down the road towards slumber, she was greeted by the roadblock that was a nightmare.

* * *

Rose stood alone in the courtyard of Hogwarts, intense paranoia and fear overtaking her. The only sounds to be heard were the whistling of the wind and the scraping of dry leaves against the cobblestone. The environment was downright unsettling. It was odd to see Hogwarts so...barren.

Suddenly, a cold hand touch her shoulder, causing her to shriek and spin around so fast that she nearly lost balance. Scorpius stood before her, his face blank of any emotion.

"Scorpius, what's going on? Where is everyone?" she asked him desperately, gripping his shoulders.

Scorpius remained expressionless as he replied in a monotone voice, "Everyone is gone now, Rose. Now it is time for you to join us."

Rose stared at him in perplexity. "What are you talking about? Join who?"

His face twitched ever so slightly, contorting like he was in pain. "Run," he whispered promptly.

"Why?" Rose knew something was terribly wrong.

"R-Run!" Scorpius spluttered, before he let out a gut-wrenching scream. Rose watched in horror as he collapsed on the ground, curling up in a ball and writhing in pain. She choked out a sob at the sight.

"Scorpius, what do I do?" Rose cried, crouching down beside him.

"He's coming!" Scorpius screamed. "RUN!"

"Crucio!" a sinister voice sneered, causing Scorpius to arch his back and howl with pain again.

Lucius Malfoy emerged from the darkness, smiling with satisfaction at the sight of his grandson enduring the effects of the torture curse. Rose was paralyzed with fear, now face to face with the man who nearly killed her and her friends. Judging from the murderous look on his face, she knew she was about to killed for real this time.