Chapter 49: Prophet News and Fun in Potions

1 September, 2022

BREAKING NEWS: MINISTER OF MAGIC KINGSLEY SHACKLEBOLT FOUND DEAD IN HIS OFFICE! HEAD AURORS HARRY POTTER AND RON WEASLEY SAY FORMER/CURRENT DEATH EATER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MINISTER'S MYSTERIOUS DEATH!

* * *

It's been two months since the incident with Lucius Malfoy at the Burrow. No more strange occurrences have happened since then, thank Merlin. Albus did find the lack of occurrences with him and his friends a bit odd, since trouble tended to follow them wherever they went. Although, he wasn't complaining. He and his friends, so far, have been enjoying their sixth year at Hogwarts in peace.

It was a bit difficult readjusting back to school life. For instance, they were pretty much avoided by the rest of their classmates. Albus would always hear people whispering about them, calling them "The Chosen Ones" or "The Reincarnations." It was annoying being treated like diseased freaks, but Albus and his friends learned to ignore the harsh treatment. They had each other.

Other than that, the schoolwork amount was atrocious as ever. Albus struggled with Potions and Charms, which was normal for him, but surprisingly did pretty well in Defense Against The Dark Arts. He envied his smart friends, all of which dominated every one of their subjects. They'd even begun discussing possible future career choices! The thought of the future terrified Albus.

At lunch, he tried his best to ignore his friends as they threw career possibilities out at each other, debating who would succeed best at what. Albus really didn't want to discuss this topic. 

"Hmm, what about a Healer?" Rose suggested.

"Nope, I've had enough of hospitals. I'm never visiting one ever again," replied Scorpius, wrinkling his nose in disgust. Albus definitely shared Scorpius's opinion on hospitals.

"Agreed," piped in Holly, shaking her head.

Rose huffed in frustration. "Well, what do you guys want to pursue as a career?"

Scorpius and Holly both pursed their lips in thought. Albus avoided eye contact with Rose so he wouldn't have to say his nonexistent career choice. 

Holly's eyes then lit up as she said, "Working at Honeydukes would be fun!" 

Rose and Scorpius laughed, earning a mock-hurt look from Holly. Even Albus couldn't help but chuckle. 

"What? I'm serious! Honeydukes would be perfect for me!" Holly exclaimed, giggling.

"Holly, you would eat all the candy in the store. You'd be so fat!" Rose said pointedly, though she was still laughing. 

"Oh, dear, you're right!" Holly said, pretending to be shocked. Albus loved how silly she was.

"I mean, if you love candy so much, why don't you become the new candy trolley lady on the Hogwarts Express?" Scorpius joked, causing Rose, Holly, and Albus to burst out laughing. 

Rose gasped. "That'd be perfect for you, Holly!"

Holly then adjusted her pigtail braids, hunched over like an old woman, and gave her best interpretation as the possible future new candy trolley lady. "Yoohoo! Candy from the trolley here!"