Chapter 15

Akina missed Shisui. He had been like a brother to her. He could not even know that she had become a genin. The last night she could hardly sleep. Again and again she had his face in front of her eyes which smiled at her. In front of Sasuke she tried not to show her sadness, although he surely got what had happened.

When there was a knock on the door, Itachi was the first to open it because he had put on his ninja sandals. Three clan members stood at the door and wanted to know why he wasn't at the clan meeting with Shisui. They blamed him for Shisui being dead and throwing himself off the cliff. Itachi was the last person to see him and her brother became angry. How could they say that he was to blame?

"You know nothing! You are full of vengeance!" roared Itachi, shooting a kunai into the wall that had the clan mark on it as he walked out with the three men. Itachi had activated his Sharingan and was about to attack them.

 "Big brother stop it!" yelled Sasuke as he yelled even at their father. Briefly, Itachi winced and sank to his knees. "I apologize for my behavior." he said, protesting that he had nothing to do with Shisui's death. Akina believed him. He had told her, after all. There was no way he could kill his best friend. Tears left her eyes as she thought about it again.

Akina meanwhile came to terms well with Shisui's death. It took some time, even though Itachi helped her. She didn't want to look weak in front of Sasuke, she had to be a big sister for him. In the evening she came home a little late. She had tried again to talk to Neji which didn't quite work. She hadn't given up yet and would get the old Neji back, that much was certain.

The days were a little quieter and the Uchiha was not assigned to any team for whatever reason. The Hokage would tell her why. In any case, she was happy when TenTen got into a team with Lee and Neji.

 Later that evening, the Uchiha district was very quiet. Akina activated her sharingan and walked down the alleys. She saw nothing but corpses and blood. Her lip quivered and her legs automatically carried her faster. She had to find her family! "Itachi! Sasuke!" she shouted and heard a small scream. She knew it was coming from Sasuke and ran towards the alley. "You're weak little brother!" she heard Itachi say and came to a stop in front of him.

"Itachi-Nii what's going on?" she spoke, looking into his watery eyes. Itachi couldn't help but pull his little sister close to him. He was glad she wasn't in the neighborhood earlier. "Itachi?" "Akina listen to me carefully. Everything I have done I have done only to protect you. One day you will understand why I murdered our clan but it is too soon. Sasuke needs you by his side now." Akina got tears in her eyes and looked at her brother. "What are you talking about?" she asked, "I have to go Akina. Promise me you'll stay as you are and always protect your friends," Itachi said, tapping his fingers against her forehead.

Akina now understood what was going on and clung to his clothes. "No please don't leave me! I need you by my side! He comforts me when I'm sad? Who eats dangos with me and spends the day with me!!!? You can't leave! Please don't leave me alone!" the girl begged, crying.

Itachi held his little sister tightly in his arms and could see the masking from afar. "Akina I will always be with you. I will always protect you outside of Konoha. If you see a crow you know I have my eye on you." Smiling he looked at his sister and ran his hand over her hair. "Stay as you are promise me my little spring flower yes?"

Akina cried even more at the name and felt his warm lips on her forehead before he left her forever. Slowly, the Uchiha sank to her knees. Why did first Shisui and now her big brother have to go? Why wasn't luck on her side? She couldn't even bring Neji back yet.

As the genin looked to Sasuke, she had to pull herself together. She had to be there for her little brother now. Slowly, Akina lifted him onto her back. Itachi must have put him into a genjutsu. She had no choice but to take him to the hospital. When he would wake up, she would be at his side.