Chapter 41

Meanwhile, almost 3 years had passed in which Naruto was away. When he was back in Konoha, he was greeted by many of his friends and Akina came to meet him. "Hello Naruto, it's nice to see you again," she smiled and had to look up at him slightly. Slightly offended, she puffed out her cheeks. Why did this boy have to be taller than her? That Neji was taller wasn't so bad but that he was was insulting. "Hello Akina.", he laughed a little as she looked at his size.

"How was your trip?" the now 18 year old asked curiously. "Pretty good. That old codger really taught me a lot," he said, grinning. I guess the trip really did him good. "So what's been going on with you guys?" "Not so much. You just missed the chunin exams.", Sakura explained. "Waaas! Really now!!!" he yelled a little hysterically.

"Yeah we're all chunin except Neji. He became a Jonin right away, so he and Akina are the only ones of us in that rank. Although, if Shikamaru tried a little harder, he'd be a Jonin by now too.", Sakura explained, looking to Shikamaru. "It's annoying." he explained, rolling his eyes slightly. Even though Naruto was still a genin along with Sasuke, he didn't mind. He had congratulated everyone and was happy for their success. 

"Why are you here, anyway?", Ino asked the Uchiha. Her team was still on the way. "I had another mission with Kakashi, and I just came from Tsunade," grinned the addressed. "You were on a mission with him?" asked Naruto. "Yes, I became his team partner because his certain students had other things to do." "I see. Well then guys I'm off to see Grandma Tsunade." grinned Naruto and headed off to the Hokage tower.

Akina was glad to see that the Uzumaki was back. As soon as he had time, he would surely take care of Sasuke. Even if she wanted to search for him herself from time to time, she couldn't. She had given the task to Naruto and had to trust him in this matter.

Perhaps a few hours passed in which Akina had her peace as she was sent to the Hokagen by an Anbu. Although she preferred to have a nice day and just came from a mission she had to admit that she was happy when she could do something. Joyfully, she slammed the door open. "What mission is it!" she almost shouted. In front of her stood Team 7 who looked at the Uchiha briefly until Naruto started laughing. He would have thought that Akina had changed which was completely wrong.

"You will go with Team 7 on a level S rescue mission! Gaara has been kidnapped by Akatsuki," Tsunade explained. "What Gaara!!!" he yelled. "We have to rescue him!" he added. "Go to Sunagakure as soon as possible, you will learn more there."

Akina didn't wait long and ran home. She quickly put on her two weapon bags and her katana which she left in her room. She would have thought that she could stay at home. She briefly checked if she had packed everything and made her way to the main gate. She was surprised to see Kakashi already here. "What, you and on time?" The Hatake didn't reply anything to that she would just comment again.

"Oh who is this pretty young woman." grinned a man who came to stand in front of Akina. She recognized him immediately and raised her eyebrow. She had last seen Jiraiya when Orochimaru had attacked the village. "Hello perverted hermit." she greeted him with a laugh. "I'm not a pervert, who told you that my pretty?" "It's okay Jiraiya don't even try her," Sakura said. "She has a boyfriend." A little disappointed, he lowered his head. "I should have known such a pretty woman wouldn't be single."

"We should get going," came from Kakashi. "Akina I want you to go first." Without wasting any more time, Team 7 set off. Jiraiya could only stare after them, not believing Akina would do so well.

"Akina not so fast!" shouted Sakura who was having trouble keeping up with their pace. Even though they couldn't waste time, she didn't have to step on the gas like that right away. Sakura now knew why Kakashi wanted her to go first. She set a decent pace which she surely had her team to thank for. "Why don't you channel chakra into your feet then it'll be easier for you!" shouted Akina a bit as she jumped against the wind. "You say that so easily!" grumbled the Haruno.

In the forest, the team picked up Temari, who was also on her way to Suna. At first she couldn't believe what the four told her, but since she saw Akina's serious look, it must be true. The Uchiha was always serious on her missions until she had finished them.

The group didn't take a single break until they reached Suna. They crossed the desert with the help of Temari. In the desert, she took the lead and brought the team to their village without any injuries.