Chapter 49

Akina looked for the plants together which Tsunade had given her as pictures. Among them, she had realized that they were rare ones that were not easy to find. Actually, she had no desire to do so, but when she saw some flowers she had to smile. She couldn't resist tying some together and wrapping them up. At home she would make something beautiful out of them.

A noise brought her out of her thoughts and she looked up. In the treetops she could see several crows and Akina remembered what Itachi said to her. The crows would always keep an eye on her and the Uchiha began to smile. She quickly ran deeper into the forest until she could feel a chakra.

"Itachi-Nii!!!" she cried, jumping around his neck in tears. Gently, Itachi stroked her hair which she always liked. He wanted to see his little sister one last time before he would leave her forever. "I see you're collecting flowers again," Itachi smiled. Briefly, Akina nodded and smiled. "Why are you here?" she asked, looking at him his bland dull eyes. He had probably used his Magekyou Sharingan too many times.

"I wanted to see you one last time. Sasuke has killed Orochimaru and is now ready to fight me." Akina closed her eyes for a brief moment. "What are you trying to say?" "That Sasuke will kill me." The world just fell apart for the Uchiha. How could he just take it like that!? "But..no you can't!" she screamed at him, reaching into his Akatsuki cloak. "I'm not going to let this happen! I've already lost you once, and I won't let it happen again!" she screamed, crying.

"You can't leave Itachi! You saved Konoha and always protected us! You're my big brother, I need you!" Itachi's heart broke when he had to see Akina like this. He had missed her all these years and didn't want to leave when she cried. He wanted her to smile and not sink into sadness.

"I don't want you to grieve for me, my little spring flower. Remember what you promised me. Besides, my illness will eat me up anyway, so Sasuke won't really kill me." Akina's watery eyes widened. "S..Sickness?" she asked, and Itachi explained what was wrong with him. His time would run out one way or another that much was certain. "Please remember our good times Akina. How we used to play and you used to decorate me with flowers.", Itachi smiled which made Akina laugh a little. She could never forget those days. She was always happy there and could forget all her worries. Still, she didn't want to lose her brother who always gave her so much love.

Akina's tears ran down her cheeks. How could she be happy when her big brother was no longer alive? "Please don't go," she pleaded softly. Gently, Itachi brushed away his little sister's tears. "Please don't cry Akina, they don't suit you.", he smiled and tapped extra against her forehead.

When he looked at her closely, he had to admit that she was really beautiful. He had seen her the last time when she wanted to save Gaara. How could one become more beautiful in such a short time? "You look a lot like mother, you know that?" "Huh?" sniffled Akina. The corners of Itachi's mouth lifted and he pulled his spring flower to his chest and closed his eyes. "I'm glad to have you as my little sister," he spoke, kissing her forehead. "You grew strong and never trusted the power of the Mangekyou Sharingane. You always did your best even when Sasuke left. Don't blame yourself for that, will you?"

Akina's watery eyes looked up at him. Why did he have to say such words when it already hurt otherwise? "You know. I wanted to give up earlier but you stopped me," Itachi spoke calmly and smiled. Confused, she looked at her brother, not knowing how she should have done that. Slowly, Itachi raised his hand and smiled as he looked at the flower bracelet. "It made me endure the pain and brought me luck. I never took it off Akina. And I won't take it off in the fight against Sasuke either. He should see that I have always thought of you and protected you."

Akina's lip trembled. She tried not to cry again, which was quite difficult. "I heard that your Susanoo also wears flowers," Itachi tried to cheer her up, which only caused a short laugh. Itachi looked up at the sky and realized that his time with her was up.

Sasuke would have to arrive at the Uchiha's hideout soon. But before he left, he wanted to see his little sister happy one more time. He wanted to see her laughing face when his time of death came. "Hey my little spring flower. Do you want to decorate my hair?" Akina's eyes widened a little and began to shine even though she couldn't see anything through her tears. As quickly as she could, she gathered some flowers and happily decorated his head. She remembered the fight with Shisui and finally made two flower wreaths which she held out to him. Questioningly, he looked at Akina. "Give one of these to Sasuke. She's supposed to protect you."

Itachi couldn't hold back his tears. In front of her, he could see the four-year-old girl who had done the same for him and Shisui. Firmly he pressed his spring flower to him and would prefer never to let her go. But he had to go and wanted to give her something on her way.

"No matter which way you go. Whether in the light or in the darkness. Never forget who you are Akina. You don't have to forgive me for anything I've done, and no matter what becomes of you." he spoke softly, resting his forehead against hers.

"I will always love you."