Chapter 39

Akina pulled Neji to the Uchiha quarter which was uninhabited since the massacre. In the dark it could be almost creepy if one had to go through here. Neji didn't ask Akina where they were going. Deep down, he knew where she was going.

"And this is where we lived," the Uchiha finished as they walked through the streets. Akina had told Neji many things about her childhood and remembered exactly who lived where. He found it admirable that she could just talk about it like that. "Sasuke had seen it," came from Akina as she looked at the house. Neji knew what she meant. This was where Sasuke had found his parents dead on the floor, looking into Itachi's eyes. He didn't want to imagine how Akina would have felt if she had seen it.

Slowly, the Uchiha walked on, swelling with memories. In every corner she had experienced something she could never forget. Even on the street where she last saw Itachi she could never forget. Neji saw that she had stopped and was looking at the ground. Somewhat confused by this, he put his hand on her shoulder. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah, I just couldn't help but think about the last time I saw Itachi here," the Uchiha admitted, smiling slightly. Neji couldn't really buy her smile but she wasn't all that sad either. He would probably never know what exactly had happened. After this short stop, Akina walked on silently followed by Neji. He tried to memorize some things which was not so easy. At many houses the weeds and the ivy grew high. The streets were filthy because no one cared about this neighborhood anymore. The houses were locked and cordoned off. One had never cleared away everything after the investigations.

Neji could see that they didn't really like the Uchiha. Even though they were always a great help, they were never accepted. Akina was certainly the exception. "We're here." he heard her soft voice and turned his head forward. He felt a chill run down his spine when he saw the graves. Many of the stones were crooked and had little care. As with the houses, there were a lot of weeds growing, but he could see that they were trying to keep it beautiful. So this was the Uchiha cemetery, built especially for the clan.

Akina ran ahead and even if she wanted to put down a flower for each one, it was hardly possible. She came to a stop in front of her parents' grave and wiped the dirt off the stone as she had done many times before. Neji watched her and knelt beside her as she laid the bouquet. He wondered why they were not current flowers.

"My mother loved spring flowers and that's why she named me Akina," she smiled, feeling Neji's hand on hers which lightly clasped it. His hand caused a big tingling in her stomach which she tried to forget. She couldn't think now about what had happened between them since the kiss. "My big brother used to call me that sometimes. He used to say "my little spring flower" why he did it exactly I don't know. But I know it always made me happy just like when Shisui called me Sunshine." Neji could see her tears on her cheeks which he gently wiped away with his thumb. 

Somehow he was glad she was crying. He had always thought that nothing could make her sad, or she had just been good at hiding it. He was glad that for once he didn't see her happy side. That way he knew that she too had normal feelings like everyone else. "Hey Neji." "Huh?" "Thanks for coming."

Neji smiled slightly and looked at the grave. "Of course," he said. For Akina it was not at all understandable. Not even Sasuke had been able to make her go with them. He never wanted to because he couldn't see it. She could understand her little brother in this matter and never wanted to force him. She didn't want him to see their bodies again so she always went to the cemetery alone.

A few minutes had passed and Akina slowly straightened up. She still had something to do regarding the second bouquet. Neji looked at her questioningly and stood up as well. He wondered why she didn't leave both bouquets here. Gently, Akina took his hand and left the cemetery. His heart warmed as she took his hand and squeezed lightly. If it helped her a little to have more support he would hold and squeeze her hand as long as she needed.

Neji quickly realized that Akina was leaving the neighborhood and walking through a forest. She apparently knew very well where to go. When the Hyuga saw the cliff, his eyes widened. What was she doing in this place? Why was she looking down? "Akina?" he asked softly as her hand shook slightly. When she didn't answer him, he only worried more and squeezed her hand a little tighter.

"This is where Shisui died," she finally said when she could collect herself. She remembered exactly the day Itachi told her about his death. Likewise, she remembered very clearly that he was blamed for jumping off the cliff. "Oh. I see," he said softly. However, he didn't understand why she threw down the bouquet. "Why do you let..." "Because that's how I know he'll get it," she interrupted Neji, smiling. Even if it sounded a little sick right now he could kind of understand her point of view.

"They never found his body. So it must be somewhere where the river ends and that's where my flowers will go," Akina smiled and looked at Neji. Her sadness was swept away and in her face you could see her pure joy. The sun was beginning to set which lit up her face and emphasized the smile. Neji could only call her beautiful and opened his mouth slightly.

Even though it wasn't appropriate, he just couldn't keep it quiet any longer. His heart was racing and his nervousness was rising. He loved her face, her smile, everything about her. He had liked her own way of talking and behaving from the beginning. He should have noticed much earlier what he felt for her. He should never have waited so long.

"Hey Neji. Are you okay?" asked Akina as he stared at her for a while and said nothing. Was he in a state of shock? Was there an enemy around? What was going on with him?

"I love you."