Chapter 40

Neji's words echoed in her head. Again and again she heard the phrase "I love you" and didn't know what to say. She was surprised to hear these words from her. Inwardly she screamed with happiness but outwardly she could only stare at him. Akina tried to say something as her mouth kept opening. Never would she have thought that Neji felt the same as she did.

Neji swallowed as Akina said nothing. He could see by the look on her face that she didn't know what to say. "Ehm..I shouldn't have said that." he mumbled something and became a little embarrassed. How stupid was he to actually say it directly to her? He should have waited a little longer. But then why had she kissed him? Was it a reflex or what had driven her to do it? "We should go back to Konoha. It's getting pretty late." he said in a firm voice, trying to hide his disappointment.

Akina managed to break out of her stupor and saw Neji turn away from her. Why hadn't she said anything? He would surely think now that she felt nothing for him. Her heart grew heavy as she thought about the fact that she had hurt him. Before Neji could move away from her, she grabbed his white sleeve which belonged to the top. "Hey Neji." she whispered, blushing a little. The Hyuga glanced at her hand before looking at her face. Questioningly, he raised his eyebrow as he recognized her slight blush.

"I didn't mean to hurt you. It was so sudden," Akina admitted. Neji tried to suppress his current feelings. What had he expected? That she would jump joyfully around his neck? He couldn't ask that of her. Especially not today after they were at the cemetery. If he were Akina, it would have been too sudden for him, too.

Akina still held his sleeve. She didn't want him to leave. Why didn't he see that she loved him too? She had kissed him, after all. Wasn't that proof enough? "Hey Neji." she said softly, smiling a little. "You don't have to say anything Akina, it's okay.", Neji said and released her hand. Even if he wanted her near him it wasn't possible now.

The further Neji moved away from the Uchiha, her heart tore. Her throat went dry and panic rose in her. If she didn't say anything now, she would lose him for sure. They would never be able to talk normally or look each other in the eye again. He was not allowed to enter the forest now. If that happened, Akina would regret it forever. Quietly she cleared her throat to regain her voice. Clenching her hands into fists, she took a deep breath before leaning forward, screaming a little.

"I love you too!"

The Hyuga stopped and turned his head in her direction. He could tell by her cry that she meant it. It was a joyful and happy cry which came from her slightly dry throat. "Why do you think I kissed you, you idiot!" she added with a little laugh as her panic vanished into thin air. Neji's eyes widened slightly and he could feel like punching himself. He really was an idiot to think that she felt nothing for him.

Akina noticed that he couldn't move right now. Her answer just came shooting out just as he had done. She happily ran towards him and couldn't help jumping a bit. When she reached him, she wrapped her arms around his neck and put her lip on his. Neji couldn't help but return her kiss. He had to pull himself together not to laugh because of the way she came towards him. But he couldn't help smiling.

Neji did not know how long their kiss lasted, but for him it seemed like an eternity. In order to be able to breathe a little again, he detached himself from her and looked at her radiant face. Gently he stroked her cheek and could only look at the beautiful girl. How could he stand to be without her for so long?

"Hey Neji.", Akina smiled. "Huh?" "I want to tell the others.", she grinned and Neji had to grin. How could this girl change her emotions so quickly? "Are you sure?" he asked. Laughing, she jumped around his neck a bit again causing Neji to struggle a bit not to fall over. "Nah sure. The way I'm going they're going to notice one way or another. So why not tell them now? Besides, Shikamaru already knows about it."

Neji laughed a little and shook his head slightly. So Shikamaru had known from the beginning. He must have known her feelings very well. "Alright if that's what you want, we'll tell them." the Hyuga smiled and gave her a quick kiss. He had to agree with her. If she was walking around Konoha even more cheerful than usual it had to mean something. Everyone in Konoha would want to know what was going on with Akina.