In the shadows.

---Brandon's POV---

*RING*RING*RING*

"Come on love, answer the damn phone," I growled into my mobile. I hadn't talked to Isabel since the whole Emily incident occured. When Emily got away, I was going to run after her. Isabel stopped me though, saying that everything was ruined. What the hell did that mean?

"Hello, this is Isabel. I'm not able to come to the phone right now. Please leave your name, number, and brief message and I will return your call as soon as possible, Thank you." I heard the loud beep in my ear, indicating to begin my message. 

"Hey, Baby, it's me. Brandon.. You haven't called, and you haven't been at work. Is something wrong? call me back as soon as you can. I miss you." I hung up the phone. God I sounded pathetic. I couldn't help it though.

Isabel was exciting! Everytime we slept together, behind her husband and Emily's back, it just brought a rush of adrenaline into my veins. I don't know how to describe it fully. But it was... fun. Emily wasn't fun anymore. She just focused on school, and the Children's hospital. 

The day I hit her, I couldn't control myself. She slapped me and punched me. She made me less of a man for hitting me the way she did. I couldn't let that happen, not infront of Isabel. So I hit her, again... again...and again. And before I knew it, there she was, begging for mercy. 

I shook my head, trying to get the images of Emily's helpless body laying there, out of my head. I unlocked the front door of our... My home. Opening, I could see Charlie there on the sofa, sleeping as usual. He had been whining during the night, ever since Emily ran away. 

"Charlie, you hungry?" I asked him. Walking towards his food bowl. I was going to  fill it up with dog food, but there was just one thing.... it was already full. That's odd, when I left there was nothing in there. 

I heard shifting in the hallway. Turning around quickly, I squinted my eyes, trying to see into the dark. Damn me for turning off all of the lights before I stepped out of the house. It was night outside by now. The sun's rays were no longer helping light up the house. 

"Isabel?" I called out. Maybe she came back. "Baby is that you? Where have you been?" I loud creak could be heard in one of the rooms. Fuck. "Charlie who's here?" I asked, looking right at the dog. He lifted his head, then put it back down. Uninterested. Damn dog. 

I reached into the coat closet next to the front door. I always kept a bat there. Looking into the closet... it had no bat. Where the hell did it go?! A loud creak was heard again. Whoever that was in there, was moving around. A thought instantly hit me....

"Emily? Is that you?" The moving stopped. There was only silence radiating around me. It scared the hell out of me. What if she came back for her clothes... or to rob me? What if she came back to get back at me? If she was, I'd be ready. "If you pop out and scare me, I'm going to beat the shit out of you again!" I yelled out, trying to sound intimidating. I was scared though... fucking terrified. 

"Damnit Brandon, she's a girl... you took control once, you can do it again!" I decided to stop being a wuss. Stepping into the dark hallway, I flicked on the light. Empty. 

Opening the door to the restroom, the hallway light spilled into the room. Lighting up the small space. I walked up quietly towards the shower. Whipping the shower curtains open, I prepared for anything.. empty. 

I checked every knook and cranny in this damn house... everyone turning out like the one before. Empty. There was only one more room left. The master bedroom. I inched closer, each step mimicking my heart beat. The door was cracked open, but only slightly. Placing my hand on the metal doorknob, I was ready.