[two - secrets & fights]

Lilly and I step out of my car and swing our backpacks over our shoulders. The large school parking lot is packed with students from Clearview high preparing for the first day of school.

I'm glad it's my last first day of high school. I hope senior year is as great as everyone makes it out to be.

"I can't believe we're seniors!" Lilly excitedly says to me.

I smile at her.

"Me neither,"

We walk side by side towards the school. I smile to myself as I finally enter the front doors, knowing I only have to attend school here one more year.

"I'll see you at lunch, my first period is Pre-Cal," I tell Lilly.

"Okay, have fun!" She smiles.

I can't help but admire Lilly's exuberance. She's always so happy and cheery. 

"You too." I wave at her.

I jostle through the sea of students in the congested hallway, trying to find the destination of my first period. I am relieved when I finally find the small classroom.

I walk in and notice a few people I know, including Amy. She smiles at me and I force one back.
I take a seat in one of the desks in the completely empty front row of the classroom. Almost every student hates the front row, but I have always seemed to like it. I never have to worry about some kids head being too big and blocking the board from my view.

I am surprised when a wave of nerves crash through me. I have attended so many first days of school, you would think I'd be an expert. Yet, here I am, biting my fingernails in an attempt to ease my arising nerves.

Students begin to fill the empty desks, and the time before class starts begins to decrease. I take the last few minutes before class to organize my notebooks and folders one last time.

A female teacher enters the classroom and walks over to her desk. She takes a seat behind her computer and begins to glance around the classroom.

I sigh when the bell finally rings.

The teacher, Mrs. Jones, begins to take roll.
A huge slam of the classroom door causes me to jolt up out of my seat, along with half of the class. I turn my head towards the door to see one of the twin boys I met at the bonfire last Saturday. I can't tell which one he is.

He shuffles over and takes a seat in the only empty desk left in the classroom, which just so happens to be next to me.

"You're late," Mrs. Jones says from her desk.

"Obviously." He retorts.

Mrs. Jones, irritated by his attitude, stands up from her desk and walks over to the boy.

"What's your name?" She asks him.

The entire class is watching both of them carefully.

"Ethan."

"And your last name?"

"Dolan."

"You're new here, aren't you?"

He rolls his eyes.

"You ask too many questions." He looks her in the eyes.

How could he be so disrespectful? Mrs. Jones did nothing to him.

"I'm your teacher, I can ask you a few simple questions, Ethan."

Ethan ignores her and doesn't say another word. Mrs. Jones returns to her desk and finishes calling roll.