[fifty - leaving for new jersey]

"Are you sure you're not forgetting anything?" My mom asks as I roll my suitcase into the living room.

"Yes."

"Do you have your toothbrush?"

"Yes."

"Your dress?"

"How could I forget that?"

"Panties?"

"Yes, mom, oh my god."

"Are you sure-"

"Yes!" My voice rises as I interrupt her, trying not to laugh.

I'm supposed to be at Ethan's in ten minutes to leave for the airport, yet here I am with my mother, debating about whether I have or have not forgotten to pack panties.

I have to admit, I am beyond excited for New Jersey. It will be fun to get away for awhile.

And, of course, I can't wait to see Anne get married.

"I need to get going," I tell my mom, smiling at her.

She glances at me, as if she's taking a mental image of me to remember for the next three days. I'm going to miss her, too, but I'm too excited to think about that right now.

"Give me a hug!" She exclaims.

I roll my eyes as I trot over to her and engulf her into a huge hug. She squeezes me tightly, nudging her head into my shoulder.

"Be careful, Jessica Lane. I mean it."

I nod as I pull away, letting her know that I will be.

"Call me when you get there. And have fun. And tell Anne and Robert I said congratulations,"

"I will."

I grab the handle of my suitcase and walk towards the door.

"I love you!"

I open the front door, rolling my suitcase outside before turning around to face my mom one last time. 

"I love you, too."

This is the first time I'm going on a trip without my mom. I'm not sure how exactly to feel about it.

She was invited, of course, but unfortunately could not take the time off of work to go. I was actually slightly worried about her not allowing me to come.

I wave to her as I climb into my car, anxious for what's to come. My expectations are high for this getaway, and I hope more than anything that it's even better than what we're all expecting. 

I have a good feeling about it.

-

When I arrive at Ethan's, I see everyone outside frantically shoving suitcases into the back of their cars and checking to make sure everyone is ready.

Samantha and her mom look as if their discussing something as they lean against the side of their car, pushing a suitcase into the trunk; Anne and Robert smile at each other and exchange a kiss as they climb into their Range Rover; Locke seems uninterested in everything happening around him, and glances down at his phone; Grayson looks as if he's forgotten something as he rushes back into the house, and then I see Ethan.

He smiles when he glances up to see that I have arrived. I smile as he approaches me, signaling for me to roll down the window.

"Hi, princess." He leans over to kiss me on the cheek. Even after all of this time a sweet gesture like this one never fails to make my day.