[fifty one - new jersey wedding weekend pt.1]

Once we're finally through airport security and settled on the plane, I notice Ethan tapping his foot and breathing heavily beside me. I giggle a bit.

"Are you scared of planes?" I ask him, nudging his arm.

He immediately looks over to me, eyebrows furrowed, seeming offended. He shifts in his uncomfortable airplane seat and shrugs.

"No, Jess."

I can't help but smile a bit when his voice comes out shaky. I never hear Ethan sounding like this.

"Mmhmm."

"I'm not."

I raise my hands into the air, accepting my defeat.

"Okay, tough guy."

Ethan rolls his eyes and restarts his foot-tapping and heavy breathing.

Anne and Robert sit in the row across from us, with Samantha's mom sitting next to Anne on the end. Grayson is in the row in front of us, in-between Locke and Samantha. I can't imagine having to sit next to Samantha for a five-and-a-half hour plane ride. I can tell Grayson isn't too happy about it either when I look down at my phone to see that he has texted "help me."

Ethan and I are alone in our row, the third seat being empty. I'm beyond happy about this.

I glance over at Anne, who smiles widely at me. Her fingers are intertwined with Robert's, and her head rests lightly on his shoulder. I can tell getting married is all she can think about.

Her excitement is contagious, though.

"This is your captain speaking. Welcome aboard! We'll be taking off in about ten minutes." Our pilot suddenly announces to everyone.

Ethan literally gasps at his voice, and seems to tighten his hand on the armrest. I look over to see his eyes closed and his jaw clenched.

I try my best not to laugh.

"So, please, turn off all of your electronic devices. Our flight should be pretty smooth, so sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!"

Ethan gulps.

"You know, it's okay to admit that you're scared-"

"I'm not scared, Jess." His tone is stern.

I let out my laughter, this time.

"Fine, then I guess you won't need any comfort when we take off in ten minutes, right?"

"Y-yeah, sure." He says, his voice shaky.

I can tell he's trying to focus on something else. I feel bad for him in a way, but can't help but find the situation humorous. Who would've known Ethan was scared of planes.

I reach down to turn off my phone, and remind Ethan to do the same. I rest my head on the back of my chair, trying to get as comfortable as possible in this stupid airplane chair.

Just as I go to close my eyes, the plane begins to move.

Ethan's hand moves from the armrest to my hand faster than I can even comprehend. His hand squeezes mine furiously, and I can't help but laugh again.

"Admit it, Ethan! You're scared," I taunt him.

"I'm not. I just wanted to hold your hand, that's all."

The plane begins to pick up speed, going incredibly fast, preparing to launch into the air.

Ethan's hand squeezes mine harder every moment that passes.