[fifty three - new jersey wedding weekend pt.3]

I awake to the sound of loud knocking on my hotel room door.

Today is the wedding.

I can't help but smile to myself, excited for what's to come. I can't believe it's actually today. I can only imagine how excited Anne must feel.

I glance at the clock next to me and groan slightly when it reads "6:56 A.M." Ethan and I barely had any sleep.

I unwrap Ethan's arm from around my waist and slip out of the bed, walking over to the door.

I stand on my tip-toes to glimpse through the peephole, and my stomach drops.

It's Anne. 

A bright white bandanna wrapped around her head and her famous smile spread across her face despite the early hour of the morning, she stands on the other side of the door, continuing to knock every few seconds.

I have to hide Ethan.

"Ethan! Ethan, wake up!" I rush over to him, shoving at his bare chest.

He groans, similar to how I did moments before.

"W-what? What is it?" He says, his deep, raspy voice filling the room.

"Your mom is at the door!"

He immediately sits up from the bed, rubbing his eyes. We both look frantically around the room.

"Shit," he mutters.

"Would she be mad? You know, if she knew you stayed in here with me?" I ask.

He shrugs.

"I don't know, honestly."

I wave my arms into the air, not knowing what to do.

"Hide in the closet!" I blurt.

Ethan chuckles, running his hands through his messy bed hair.

"Really, Jess-"

"Yes, really! Go!" I push him off the bed.

He rolls his eyes, finally jumping out of the bed and padding over to the small hotel room closet.

I follow behind him, worried whether I'll make it to the door in time or not. He hesitantly slips into the closet, hitting his head on a shelf in the process.

"Fuck, that hurt." He whispers.

I can't help but laugh lightly, earning yet another eye roll from Ethan.

"Bye, have fun!" I tease him, leaning into to give him a quick kiss before pushing him further into the closet and shutting the door, trapping him inside.

I attempt to fix my hair a bit in the mirror quickly before finally making it to the main door, and opening it to reveal Anne.

"Hello, darling! Good morning to you!" She greets me, engulfing me into a big hug.

I smile against her shoulder, worried that she'll somehow find out that her son is hiding in my closet.

"Good morning to you, too," I smile.

Anne pulls away, taking a deep breath.

"I'm so sorry to wake you so early, but there's so much to get done," she explains.

"No, no! It's fine, today is your big day! I would be happy to help in any way."

She places her hands onto her chest as if she's touching her heart, and her smile instantly widens.

"Oh, that means so much, Jessica. I can't thank you enough."

"It's no problem," I return her large grin, "So, how are you? Can you believe today's the day?"