[eight - can't take it anymore]

I almost gasp when I look down at my phone to see that it is already nine-thirty. I've been here for about two and a half hours.

"It's getting late, I should get going."

When Ethan came back upstairs after getting a drink, he calmed down a bit and was more willing to actually try to understand the work I was attempting to teach him. I finally managed to teach him most of it, and he seems to be caught up for the most part.

As I continued to teach him the material, I began to feel guilty for reading Ethan's note. Not only was it none of my business, but now I can't stop thinking about who the hell he wrote it about.

"Yeah," is all Ethan says.

I collect my textbook and notebook and stand up from the desk. I slowly exit the room and am relieved when I hear Ethan's footsteps behind me. As we walk down the stairs, the front door swings open.

"Hey, Jessica!" Grayson smiles at me immediately.

My face lights up and I return a smile. For whatever reason, I've missed Grayson and his cordial words and gestures. I wonder if he is confused as to why I am here.

"Hey," I reach the bottom of the stairs and Grayson opens his arms for me to hug him. He squeezes me slightly as my arms wrap around him and it's nice to feel his warm embrace.

Then, I hear the front door creak open again and am surprised to see Sarah walk in.

What?

"Oh, hey," Sarah waves to me and gives me an awkward smile.

I shoot her a look as I pull away from Grayson.

"Grayson, you're back early!" Anne enters the room with her usual large smile plastered across her face.

Wow, I guess it's a party.

Grayson smiles at his mom at the same time I look over at Ethan, who is nonchalantly leant against the staircase, rolling his eyes. I then glance back over to Sarah, and she gives me an I'll-explain-later look.

"Yeah, the bonfire wasn't very fun." Grayson shrugs. "Mom, this is Sarah,"

Ethan is just as confused as I am, and I try hard not to laugh at the situation in front of us. I watch as Sarah gives Anne a hug.

"It's so great to meet you, Sarah. I'm Anne."

"It's nice to meet you, too." Sarah smiles at her.

Grayson looks at me and I furrow my brows at him. He laughs slightly.

For a moment, all five of us simply stand in silence. Ethan huffs from behind me and I nudge him. Anne then breaks the silence.

"Well, I'll leave you kids to it. I'm going to bed," Anne yawns.

"Jessica, it was good seeing you today. Thanks for coming over!" Anne smiles at me.

"You too, thanks for having me."

Anne finally leaves the room, and the four of us exchange awkward glances.

"Well, I was just on my way out, so-" I make an attempt to walk towards the door, but Grayson stands in front of it.

"No, stay! Its a Friday night, Sarah and I were just about to watch a movie or something," Grayson widens his eyes at me. I am confused by his unusual tone.

I look over to Sarah to see her looking down at the floor. She looks as if she's been crying; her make-up is smeared and her hair is slightly bushy.

"Stay," Grayson mouths to me, and I think I catch on.

"Oh, um, alright." I say and Grayson lets out a breath.