[eleven - introducing robert]

Grayson's POV.

"Hey, mom." I enter the kitchen after returning from the grocery and Jessica's house.

I walk over and give her a brief hug after placing a few plastic bags with various foods in them onto the counter.

"Hey, Gray. Thank you so much for running to the store for me, I was feeling awful worn out today for some reason."

Her statement worries me, but I have learned to remain calm and brush it off.

"Do you think it had to do with some of your medicine?" I ask her.

"Maybe."

Her and I start putting the groceries away in cabinets around the kitchen. I notice that she stays rather quiet, which is unusual. I glance over to the sink to see the dishes from dinner still in it, which is also odd. Mom usually cleans our plates immediately after dinner.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, scared for her response.

She sighs.

"There actually is something I want to tell you."

My heart stops, and I close my eyes for a moment in an attempt to prepare myself for what it might be.

"It has nothing to do with my health, so don't worry about that."

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. It feels as if a large weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

"What is it, then?"

I take a break from putting the groceries away and walk over to take a seat on one of the many bar stools next to the counter. My mom smiles slightly before walking over to where she is directly across from me.

"I really don't know how you're going to react, but I know I need to tell you."

I nod, furrowing my eyebrows. My mom takes a deep breath and bites the inside of her cheek. I shoot her a look, urging her to continue.

"We moved here because I really like it here, and my best friend is here, and you know I wanted to be at my happiest in my last days,"

Her voice is quiet when she says the last words, and although they hurt me to hear, I have to come to terms with reality and realize that this is how it is.

"Yeah," I say.

"Well, we also moved here for another reason." She nervously picks at the end of her fingernails.

I raise an eyebrow at her.

"I have been seeing someone, and he lives here, too."

Out of all the things I thought she would say, that is definitely not one of them. I widen my eyes and almost gasp, but stop myself.

"Really?"

"Yes. I'm so sorry to keep it from you, but I had no idea how you were going to react, and I just don't want to disappoint you or Ethan, especially now. I've already made you and him leave New Jersey for me, and you both have done so much for me and I just didn't want this to ruin anything."

The last thing I am is mad and all I want is for my mom to be happy, but I am left incredibly confused. Why is she dating someone when she's not going to be around for much longer?

"Mom, all I want is for you to be happy. If this is what you want, than I am perfectly fine, but," I try to find the right words, "why are you with him when, you know..." I scratch the back of my neck.

"I can only imagine how this looks from your point of view, and I know you might not understand, but that's okay. Grayson, he makes me incredibly happy, and really, that's all I want to be in however long I have left. We have fun together and he has come to terms with my sickness and everything. He is an amazing guy."