[twenty two - anne's painting & homecoming plans]

Suddenly, I hear footsteps approaching Ethan's bedroom. I frantically crumble and shove the note back into the drawer as fast as possible, but accept defeat when the drawer makes a loud sound as it slams shut.

Shit.

"Jessica?"

I don't think I have ever been more relieved in my life as I turn around to see Grayson standing in the doorframe. I place my hand over my heart and let out a deep breath.

"You scared me," I say, my voice coming out as a whisper.

Grayson chuckles, shaking his head back and forth.

"Has he still not told you that he writes?"

He enters the bedroom, walking over to Ethan's bed and casually resting against it. He wears a large, gray sweatshirt with the words "New Jersey" written across the front.

"Nope."

I haven't given much thought to this subject, mostly because I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Everyone has their secrets, and Ethan's just so happens to be that he's a writer. It doesn't exactly bother me that he hasn't told me about it.

"I'm sure he will soon. I'm surprised he hasn't already."

I shrug, letting him know that I don't really mind.

"So... the football coach just called me," Grayson stands from the bed.

I immediately jump up from the desk chair I'm sitting in.

"Really? What did he say?" I rub my hands together, eager for his response.

His smile turns into a frown and he looks off into the distance, breaking our eye contact. My heart breaks at the thought of what he's about to say.

"We didn't make the team."

My hands fall down to my sides, and I sit back down in Ethan's desk chair.

"Grayson, I am so, so sorr-"

"I'm kidding! We made it!" He almost screams.

My heart drops into my stomach. I make a mental note to hit Grayson's shoulder later.

He jumps up and down on his feet and I can't help but stand back up from my chair again. Copying his actions, I begin to jump up and down too. We soon look like little kids who just ate three pounds of candy on Halloween night.

"Grayson! I'm so happy for you guys!" I exclaim, running over to give him a hug.

Ethan appears in the doorframe, obviously confused as to what's going on. Grayson and I both laugh.

Ethan doesn't even have to ask before Grayson is already explaining.

"We made the team, bro." Grayson walks over to pat Ethan on the shoulder.

I watch Ethan's expression closely, and smile when it changes from neutral to happy within seconds. Not only did Ethan decide to try out for the team, but he made it, and he's happy about it. He's actually happy about it.

My heart melts for him.

"Wow," is all he manages to say, but Grayson and I both know his simple "wow" meant a thousand words.

-

Anne announces that the pasta is finally ready, and it only takes seconds before Grayson, Ethan and I are downstairs and in the kitchen. Robert and Grayson make small talk as Anne finishes the final touches of her meal. I watch Ethan as he glares at Robert.