[thirty - convincing the principal]

Seeing Ethan's empty desk in first period causes some sort of uneasy feeling to erupt in my stomach.

I already felt sort of sick not only because it's a Monday morning, but because this weekend's events seem to have completely worn me out- and now, this. Having to sit alone in class, Ethan being the only thing on my mind. I know Anne mentioned something about going to the office and talking to our principal about Ethan's expulsion, so I really hope she is able to work something out.

I start to wonder if Ethan would be here today even if he wouldn't have been expelled. He skips a lot of school, which is something I have always wanted to talk to him about, but something in me tells me it wouldn't help or change his mind about it at all. 

My deep thoughts are suddenly interrupted by the classroom phone ringing. Mrs. Jones dramatically rolls her eyes before pacing over to her desk and picking up the old phone.

"Hellooo?" She answers in somewhat of a mocking tone, obviously annoyed.

I watch as she nods, looks up from the floor and scans the room, makes eye contact with me, nods again, and then hangs up the phone.

"Jessica Perkins, you're needed in the office."

Various classmates of mine turn to look over at me, and I awkwardly smile at them as I collect my books and shove them into my backpack. 

What could they possibly need me for in the office?

Confused, I stand from my desk, swing my backpack over my shoulder, and exit the room. I find myself walking faster than I usually do to the office.

I had never been called to the office before...

I swing the office door open and slowly walk in, and am somewhat shocked to see Grayson and Locke, Robert's son, sitting next to each other in two of the chairs lined against the wall. I shoot Grayson a look, and he shrugs, seeming to be just as confused as I am.

I approach the woman at the front desk, and force a smile at her once she finally looks up from her computer screen and notices me.

"Are you Jessica Perkins?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Have a seat. The principal would like to speak to you in a few minutes."

The look on my face says it all when she lady laughs lightly.

"Don't worry, you're not in any sort of trouble. He just wants to talk to you about something."

I nod, slowly backing away. I walk over and sit next to Grayson.

"What the hell is this?" I lean over and whisper to him.

Grayson sighs before responding.

"My mom and Robert are here. They came to talk to Principal Carter about Ethan's expulsion, and now I guess he wants to hear our side of the story."

"I wasn't even there."

"I guess he knows you're close with Ethan or something, then."

"Is Ethan here?"

"I don't know, I haven't been back there yet."

"Why are you here, Locke?"

I turn to the blue-eyed boy whom I have only spoken to a few times. He has been rather dismissive whenever Grayson and I have tried to make conversation with him in the past. I understand why he has had trouble making friends.

"I have no idea." He shrugs, causing Grayson and I to laugh.

I wish I knew all that was going on, but I guess we're all about to find out.