[fourteen - skipping class]

"Wait up!" I hear Grayson's voice behind me again as he desperately tries to catch up with me.

Ethan is the only thing on my mind as I push through the crowd of students. I apologize every now and then, realizing how rude I must seem. I can't believe he would just leave like this. How could he do that to Anne and Grayson?

How could he do that to me?

"I'm coming with you." Grayson says when he finally reaches me.

I stop in my tracks.

"What? Grayson, I can do this alone, you don't have to-"

"No, I want to. I'm coming." He assures me.

I nod before taking off again, but suddenly bump into someone. I gasp as their books spill everywhere onto the floor.

"Shit, I'm sorry!" I say.

I immediately bend down to help collect their books, Grayson soon copying my action to help out. I glance over to see a boy with bright blue eyes and dark brown hair. I don't think I have ever seen him before.

The boy remains silent as Grayson and I gently hand him his books.

"I'm sorry about that, I was in a rush." I apologize again. Grayson shoots a kind smile at the boy, who appears to be younger than us. He's probably a freshman, which would explain why I can't recall seeing him ever before.

"It's fine." The shy boy quietly replies.

He then gives a small nod to Grayson and I before disappearing into the crowd of students in the large hallway. Grayson looks at me and shrugs.

I shoot him a look before turning on my heel again and rushing off towards the entrance of the school.

"Jessica, we can't go out the front doors!" Grayson shouts.

"Why not?"

"Because they'll see that we're skipping, idiot!"

"Hey! It's not my fault I don't skip class all the time, alright! Don't call me-" Grayson rolls his eyes and grabs my arm before I can finish.

He drags me through one of the minor hallways before leading me to one of the side doors of the school. He stops for a moment and looks out the window on the small door, making sure that we're clear.

"Okay, right when the bell rings, which should be in about thirty seconds, we're going to make a run for it. We can take my car since it's closer. Are you ready?" He whispers, looking me dead in the eye.

I suddenly become very nervous.

"I've never skipped class," I confess.

"Really?" Grayson looks surprised.

"Really."

He smiles slightly.

"I don't anymore, but in New Jersey I skipped a lot." He looks down at the ground, as if he is ashamed.

I know for a fact that he is ashamed. Whoever he was before, he's changed a lot.

"I don't know if I can do this Gray-"

The bell suddenly rings and Grayson shoves the door open. I hesitate for a moment, but quickly follow Grayson out the door. I almost scream as the two of us exit the school building, running faster than I ever have before. I follow directly behind Grayson as we sprint through the parking lot over to his car. If my mom ever knew that I was doing this, she would never talk to me ever again.

Holy shit, my mom.

I stop suddenly. Grayson notices and turns around to face me.

"What're you doing, Jessica? Come on, we have to go!"