[twenty - birthday party plans & a heartbeat]

When I finally arrive at the Dolan household, I cautiously park my car behind one of their many Range Rovers. To this day, I still have no idea how they're so wealthy. From what I have observed, Anne is not working at the moment, probably due to her sickness, and their dad is obviously out of the picture, so I wonder how they are so prosperous.

Staring at the large mansion in front of me will forever be beyond intimidating, but the reason behind their wealth and success is really none of my business, so I decide to let it go.

As I am walking up to luxurious home, I glance up to see Ethan walking out the front door and towards me. I can tell by his quick movements and rushed steps that he is in somewhat of a hurry.

"Hey, is everything okay? What's going on-"

"Jess! Thank God you're finally here," he interrupts. His words surprise me slightly, knowing that he doesn't usually show so much enthusiasm.

"What's going on?" I repeat.

He shuffles over to grab my hand tightly and begins dragging me to the front porch. I stumble behind him but quickly catch myself and continue to follow him.

He spins around to face me once we reach the porch.

"Samantha and her mom are here. They came over for dinner, and they're trying to convince my mom that Grayson and I should have a birthday party. Please go in there and help me convince my mom to not have one. Please, Jess!"

His words are rushed and by the end of his small rant he is completely out of breath. He stares at me blankly, waiting for my response.

"Ethan! You had me so worried! I thought something terrible had happened, you have no idea how fast I drove over here!" I laugh at him.

He smiles a bit, not revealing any of his teeth. I cannot believe he texted me to come over so urgently because he doesn't want to have a birthday party.

"I'm sorry, I didn't even think about that. I'm sorry," he runs his hands through his hair.

"No, no, it's fine. I'm just glad you're okay, really."

He glances back up into my eyes, making my knees go weak. His hair is slightly messy today, falling out of its usual quiff. It looks amazing.

"Why in the world would you not want to have a birthday party?" I laugh asking the question.

Ethan flashes his famous smirk before shrugging.

"I don't know, Jess. I just really, really don't want to."

I wish he would tell me the real reason.

He takes a moment to study my expression, and then takes a step closer to me. I feel my breathing accelerate, but try my best to hide it from him.

"I missed you." His voice is barely audible as he leans in to say the words. A shiver is sent down my spine for the second time today.

Only he is capable of doing this to me. I don't know whether or not that's a good thing.

He leans in a bit more, placing his cheek on mine.

"You just saw me at school." I lightly laugh against his warm skin.

"Mmhmm," he hums, "I still missed you."

His low, deep voice is like music to my ears. When he says things like he is right now I lose control of everything.

He leans his head back to look into my eyes again before placing one of his hands around my waist and using the other to push a loose strand of hair behind my ear. I can tell he is about to lean in and kiss me, but the loud bang of the front door behind us causes us both to jump back.