[epilogue]

Anne was an incredible woman.

Never in a million years could I ever forget about her courage, compassion, and gift for understanding and communicating with others. She was truly extraordinary, and will forever hold a special place in my heart.

Every time I come home, and glance up to the huge, one-of-a-kind painting in my garage, I feel at peace- and I know that Anne is, too. There is something about that painting that makes you feel as if everything is going to be alright.

Ethan and I graduated today. We actually made it. And, although all of us would've loved for Anne to have been here, we all have come to believe that everything happens for a reason. 

Ethan got his act together after Locke's speech. I guess it really made him realize that he's not the only one going through what he's going through. Like Locke said, none of us are alone.

And that's a pretty damn beautiful thing.

If Ethan is ever feeling down, or feels like he is about to have an anger outburst, he writes to me. This system has proved to be the answer to a lot of his problems. Writing to him is therapeutic, and helps him clear his mind. And, I don't mind the constant love letters, either.

The graduation ceremony was aggravatingly lengthy, as they all are, but we all persevered. I don't know exactly why, but seeing Ethan walk across the stage and accept his diploma from Principal Carter made me especially happy today. Despite everything he's been through this year and his constant struggle to make decent grades, he still made it.

We all made it, together.

As for Ethan and I's future, we both got accepted into University of California, Berkeley. I knew about my acceptance awhile ago, but was afraid to say anything to Ethan; that is, util he informed me that he had secretly applied there months ago, and got accepted as well. We didn't really spend much time talking about our futures together, so I'm beyond elated with the outcome.

It's funny how things work out.

I am so excited for the next chapter in our lives. We've come such a long way, him and I...

Grayson is taking a year off. He thinks he's going to move back out to New Jersey for awhile to try and figure out what he wants to do, and where he wants to go to college. He also claims it has nothing to do with Elena, but Ethan and I think differently.

Every now and then I ponder about how my life would have turned out if Ethan and I would have never met. I am convinced that I would be a totally different person- in the worst way. Ethan has made me more confident, more loving, and, greatest of all, more myself.

"Hi, princess," chills are sent down my spine as Ethan approaches me from behind, whispering in my ear.

An endless amount of graduated seniors and their families surround the area, all celebrating and talking among themselves.

"Hey," I turn around, facing him.

"Who would've known you could pull off a graduation gown," he says, eyeing me up and down.

I laugh, rolling my eyes.

I notice Lilly and Amy walking towards us out of the corner of my eye. We exchange smiles and excited giggles.

"I can't believe we graduated." Lilly exclaims, throwing her arms around me for a hug.

"Me neither."

I really can't. It feels so surreal.

I reach over to give Amy a hug, who screams a bit too loudly in my ear in excitement.