[forty five - ethan vs. charlie... pt.2?]

The next day, school seems to go by quicker than usual. Perhaps it's because I spent the majority of the day reminiscing about my previous night with Ethan.

I lean against the side of the school building as I wait for Lilly.

She eventually stumbles out of the doors, her face immediately lighting up when she notices me.

"Hey, bitch."

What a lovely greeting from my sweet best friend.

"Hey."

"Where's Ethan?"

"At football practice."

"Oh, yeah. Sometimes I forget about that."

To be quite honest, I find myself forgetting about it as well. Ethan doesn't talk about the team much at all, and whenever I mention something about attending the next game, he doesn't get too excited. It doesn't bother me, though. Usually, when Ethan and Grayson are at a game, I'm painting with Anne.

As Lilly and I walk towards my car, I look down to realize that I have forgotten my binder in my sixth period classroom.

"Oh, Lil, I have to go back and get my binder."

"Ughhh," she groans.

"Here, take my keys. It'll take me five minutes, tops."

I toss her the keys and she sticks her tongue out at me before turning on her heel. I giggle at her foolishness as I walk back to the school building.

I notice that the parking lot has almost cleared out completely as I walk through the school doors once again.

I navigate through the hallways quickly as I rush to my sixth period classroom. I huff in relief once I finally reach the room.

I spot my binder on my desk and pace over to retrieve it, then smoothly exit the classroom once again.

"Just another day at Clearview High, huh?"

I jump a bit as someone approaches me from behind. I turn around to face Charlie.

I try to hide the shock that appears on my face.

"U-uh, yeah," I stutter.

Charlie's face brightens and he shakes his head at me, almost as if he doesn't believe the sight in front of him. I become immediately uncomfortable.

"How've you been, Jess?"

I almost cringe at the fact that he called me 'Jess.' Ethan is really the only one who does that, surprisingly.

"I think the real question is how you've been, Charlie."

He laughs a bit too dramatically.

"I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty rough for me there for awhile. But, you know... rehab helped a lot. I feel like a different person, now."

I guess it feels good to hear him say that.

"That's good, Charlie." I nod.

"Yeah. Um, Jess," he takes a step closer to me, "I've really been wanting to tell you how sorry I am. I know that what I did was entirely unacceptable and that we'll probably never be able to be friends again, but what I did to you," he cringes, "haunts me. Every day of my life."

I continue to nod, listening to him.

"I am so, so sorry, Jess. From the bottom of my heart. I have never been more sorry about anything. Honest."

His eyes stare into mine with desperation and I seem to be giving into him. I do feel bad for him. What happened was an accident, but then again, it was an unforgivable accident.