[thirty six - the aftermath of disaster]

Grayson's POV-

I'm livid. Absolutely livid. I can't believe Ethan would pull something like this.

I almost laugh at my own thoughts.

I actually can believe it. It's Ethan. Of course he would do this to her.

My heart goes out to Jessica, but I don't have any more time to comfort her right now. I wish I could stay in the kitchen with her while she cries so she has someone there for her, especially since her boyfriend obviously isn't, but I need to go talk to Ethan.

And get Nate out of here.

He knew exactly what he was doing, and when my mom called him, naively inviting them to our birthday party because she's the kindest human being in the world, he decided this would be the perfect time. He's always been like this. Nate has always been the one to hold Ethan back from his full potential.

Nate is the one who introduced Ethan to Kara, and, we all see how that turned out.

It's bullshit. All of it.

And I thought it was all over when we moved here.

All I see is red as I push through the small crowd of people still lingering around. I want to tell them all to leave, but I don't want to ruin the rest of the party for my mom. She was having so much fun, and this night was supposed to be perfect not for Ethan and I, but for her.

Ethan's ruined that.

"Grayson? Hey, Grayson! Have you seen Jessica?" Lilly interrupts my path.

I stumble back a bit.

"U-uh, yeah, she's in the kitchen." I push past her to continue out to the backyard.

"Wait! Is everything okay?"

"Just, go talk to her. I have to go," I feel bad pushing Lilly away like that but if I don't act upon my current anger now, I won't work up the guts to stand up to Ethan later.

I'm always the nice guy. I usually just deal with Ethan eventually, and let him know what I think he did wrong, and we talk it out. It usually ends with him apologizing to me and thanking me for being a good brother.

Not tonight. Seeing Jessica cry like that felt like being stabbed in the back.

And knowing that my brother did that to her only twists the knife.

I think Davis tries to talk to me, too, but this time I don't stop. I pull both of my feet one by one through the thick grass in our backyard, walking faster now than I was before.

I finally see Ethan from the corner of my eye and rush over to him and the others, hidden behind large bushes like middle schoolers.

"Nate, it's time for you all to leave." I rudely approach the group, crossing my arms over my chest in an attempt to look somewhat intimidating. I'm not very good at this. I'm not Ethan.

Nate turns around, almost falling. The sight in front of me is pathetic.

"W-what? G, c'mon man-"

"Pick up all of this shit, and get the fuck out." I surprise myself with my words as I point to the countless amount of empty beer bottles surrounding us.

I glance over to Daniel, Kara, and Jasmine as different giggles erupt from within their little group.

Are we fucking twelve?